Author Topic: Remember when...  (Read 4194 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Remember when...
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 February 21 14:58 GMT (UK) »
We also when to the park and took a picnic with us, I loved the "Snowberry Ice" Lollies that they used to sell at the kiosk in the park, especially on a hot day. The water fountain with it's bronzed cup on a chain would provide a drink for the thirsty, no-one seemed to bother about the many mouths that got there beforehand. There was an aviary too in the botanical gardens and small animals, the park-keeper kept an eye on everyone to make sure the animals weren't teased. The hygiene is completely over the top today and kids don't seem to have the same resistance as we did.  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 February 21 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

What an interesting thread! Brings back some memories!

I can recall as a young boy going down to the  allotment to help my father dig up the required vegetables for the Sunday lunch (not too sure how much help I actually was to be honest, probably more of a hindrance! ;D) These veggies would be on the table 2 to 3 hours later depending on what time we were eating, couldn't get fresher than that! Delicious!

I also went to Sunday school, from I think about 6/7 years old until about possibly 11/12 years old, can't remember exactly unfortunately. I confess, I recall little to nothing about what we were taught at Sunday School, little or nothing has stuck! I do recall that us Sunday Schoolers would enter the Church part way through the service, that is about all I recall at this moment in time. These days I am what you might call a very relapsed Christian (C of E), don't really go to church at all to be honest, just for the occasional family event (before the lockdowns of course!)

We were allowed out into the back garden on a Sunday afternoon sometimes, but with strict instructions to keep quiet as it was a Sunday and people were resting/relaxing. Occasionally we visited or were visited by relatives. Playing board games was also a regular Sunday/weekend occurrence.

Day of rest, unless you were a paper boy   ;D ;D,   Sunday papers were twice as big and twice as heavy as weekday ones.

You aren't wrong there Mike!

I did a paper round (including Sunday's) from about the age of about 13/14 to when I was 17. I can remember doing the paper round, getting back home, getting ready for school, having breakfast and then scrambling to make school on time! ;D

The Sunday papers were indeed bigger and heavier. I recall doing my round in two parts, did the first half, then would go back to the shop and collect the rest of the papers and do the other half. There were some Sunday papers that were so thick, with numerous supplements etc that when the letterboxes were a little on the small side I had to post the paper through in several parts to get it through, all the while making sure I didn't tear the paper as I put it through! Delivered papers in all weathers! Mind you the tips I used to get at Christmas were great! Occasional tips at Easter as well if I remember correctly! ;D

The hygiene is completely over the top today and kids don't seem to have the same resistance as we did.  ;D

I couldn't agree more, speaking personally we seemed a lot sturdier and a lot less likely to go down with something then!

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 February 21 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes David...and we teethed on the rails of a lead painted cot rail, no wonder I couldn't swim  ::) ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 22 February 21 19:23 GMT (UK) »
My 21st birthday happened to fall on a Sunday in North Wales. At that time Gwynedd was dry on Sundays, so we celebrated with very dodgy home brew.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 22 February 21 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes David...and we teethed on the rails of a lead painted cot rail, no wonder I couldn't swim  ::) ;D ;D
Carol
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Viktoria.j

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 22 February 21 22:36 GMT (UK) »
We rode our bikes without helmets, our roller skates without knee pads, the lads had catapults and pea-shooters and conkers were allowed in the school playground!!....and nobody turned a hair!
Carol

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 22 February 21 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Walked along high walls, risked the wrath of people living in end houses as we used their house wall for wickets and goals .
Likewise swinging on gas lampposts ,with orange box ropes ,and being chased off by irate householders.
Walking on high walls like tightrope artistes ,shouting into the Undertaker’s
“ Have you got any empty boxes?”
( That WAS risky!)
Going downhill in makeshift go karts ,made from old pram wheels , you could lose teeth doing that.
Fishing for Sticklebacks in the park pond ,bringing them home in a jam jar only for the little things to die.
Playing Kings and Queens  and castles among the beautifully carved stonework salvaged from Manchester’s bombed Free Trade Hall, that was stored on the red rec, ie the red shale recreation ground .
All for free, and no safety nets!
We took risks and some children did get hurt ,some even were drowned or fell from great heights etc .Most survived ,it really was character building.
Our parents did not see us from one meal to another.
Prior to  that  time as an evacuee our playground was a disused lead mine,
with not even a nod to safety .
I go cold when I think what we did there - gulp!-
Viktoria.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 01:08 GMT (UK) »
When I was 9 I had a friend who lived a long bike ride away, or a short walk if we ran across the railway bridge.  We would lie with our ear on the track to see if we could hear a train,  if not. Run.  I knew even then not to let Dad know we were doing that. I can’t imagine what we were thinking!

S.S. Originally we went to the C of E, until my mother died and when Dad asked the vicar if he knew of anyone who might be available to housekeep for him and us, the vicar said he wasn’t a social service!  Instant removal to the Presbyterian SS.  Which itself stopped when we moved and just didn’t bother anymore.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 02:31 GMT (UK) »

vicar said he wasn’t a social service! 

Well, he certainly didn't practice what he preached -- help your neighbour/parishioner!

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk