Author Topic: Remember when...  (Read 4188 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Remember when...
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Oooh no, he wasn’t !
How unkind .
One Vicar said to me ,after my first son was born, that new born babies cry to get rid of the devil in them!!!
I thought “ You silly —-!”
So I said , No, they are  expanding their lungs ,they have been in fluid and become air breathing at their first breath ,an amazing vital occurrence ,their lungs must be fully expanded as soon as possible so the crying is both life giving and life saving.
Then thought again” You silly old$¥$$¥$$$,”
Honestly.
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Strange  thing for  a vicar  to  say, would  have   changed churches

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Well we were married there and I had been in the Youth Club and OH in the Scouts etc.Both attended Sunday School but not at the same time as he was older than I by six years, going to do National Service at 18.

So strong links to the place and  that  Vicar was not the most important part of it all.
Viktoria.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I quite enjoyed Sunday School, and when I got older, chapel in the evening.
Mostly old dears, but quite a few younger, and surprisingly we all got on so very well, I remember being "presented" with her score of "the Messiah" by a lovely elderly lady who was in the choir, but she said she quavered too much to sing properly any longer, when we and other churches / chapels were going to do a joint one, think it was a sort of mark or rite of passage to have your own copy. I still have it..
And how did we all survive the playground, tall metal swing frames, with twisty, quite decorative metal "ropes" to the swings - the more daring would go right round, over the top!! The steep slide, when I looked recently at some photos, it was really very high off the ground, and precious little side to the slide! Climbing frames that seemed to be the height of a house..... quite apart from "Real" trees, the higher the better. How did we all survive?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 27 February 21 14:26 GMT (UK) »
I think I was part of the generation where a lot of these traditions have died out.

I was a child in the 80s and 90s and religion didn't really feature in my life at all, or in the lives of most of the other children I knew. So no Sunday school for us, and I only knew one family who were involved with the Church at all.

We did play out in the street but were usually kept to one back garden. Sadly not been able to do that with for my own son as it isn't the done thing anymore.  :(

We did have Sunday dinner sometimes, but not always. We just tended to eat whatever my Mum was in the mood to cook. So that is another tradition that has fallen by the wayside and one I haven't carried on in my own family. I do make a roast from time to time but not always on a Sunday. Plus we quite like spicy food so I'm more likely to make that.

My parents did buy a Sunday paper, as do my in-laws. I did from time to time when I first started living independently, but they started to drive me mad. Full of leaflets (adverts), about three pages of actual news and then all the rest of the pages are various opinion pieces and thinly disguised adverts for various products and services. Can't see the point in spending the money on it anymore, I can make my own mind up about stuff and I can't afford and don't want the lifestyle they pressure me in to. I haven't bought a paper in years. I imagine lots of people my age don't either.

I think the only things I regret is the sense of community that Church life probably gave, although some posters here appear to have been harshly treated by the Church so who knows. Also it would have been nice if my son had friends to play with at the weekend.

Other than that, I enjoy cooking very much, but I'm glad I'm not under pressure to produce a roast every weekend so I don't regret that. I do like the shops being open too so I can nip and get something if I need to.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 27 February 21 14:54 GMT (UK) »
I used to go to Sunday School, and we used to climb trees as kids which were the height of a 5 storey building, and got snowed in for days and had power cuts lasting a few days. I grew up in the countryside and used to watch soaps like Emmerdale and Neighbours as well as remembering Crossroads and the twangy theme.

About 1995 I wanted to know who my grandparents grandparents were. I did not have a clue until about 1996. I knew who their parents names were but not their grandparents. I was pleased in 1997 when I found out my paternal grandfather's maternal grandfather was James Taylor.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 27 February 21 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Walked the 500 yards or so to my grannies house carrying a towel and clean clothes. Had our weekly bath. Watched Sunday Night at the London Palladium then home to bed.

(We lived in a tenement with a shared toilet in the stairs.)

Malky

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 27 February 21 15:12 GMT (UK) »
We had an outside toilet which was quite scary at night, the spiders would lurk in the dark corners...I always sat with my feet off the ground  ;D
I used to take a Sunday lunch round to my Grandma's house when she couldn't be persuaded to join us and would be given a slice of cake for my trouble which I ate on the way home  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 27 February 21 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Ooooooo, spiders in the loo!

There was a big one in the backyard loo in Manchester ,but nothing to compare with those in the earth privy  when an evacuee.

No one lingered mostly because it was dark even with a candie and cold in winter .
No crossword puzzles in the loo in those days.
You could not even see
to read the squares of newspaper threaded on string.
Viktoria.