Author Topic: St John's Place - Manchester - Marriage Cert  (Read 1080 times)

Offline sarahfa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St John's Place - Manchester - Marriage Cert
« on: Sunday 21 February 21 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

On my paternal great grandparents side their marrage cert (1916), married at St. John's Manchester, it said their residence was 8 St. John's Place, both at the same place. I am aware that this was a fairly occurance. I am just trying to locate this place, I can't find any results when searching, even historical maps at the time. I am trying to use the address to find on census, all searches are coming up blank so trying this line of enquiry to try and find some trace of them prior to marriage.

Does anyone have any similar address or know any information at all?

Thanks

Charles Bromley & Helen Rigby m. 1st April 1916 - St. John's Manchester

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St John's Place - Manchester - Marriage Cert
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 February 21 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Searching on 1911, via street address, it might be in the region of Deansgate, Manchester. - no Wardle or Bromley at that address in 1911.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 February 21 17:50 GMT (UK) »
St John's Street is at the end of Deansgate where Knott Mill Station was apparently it's now called Deansgate Station, Granada TV studios was just off the end of St John's Street.  I imagine St John's Place was somewhere in the same area.  My parents were live-in housekeepers for one of the consultant surgeries there many, many years ago.  Something akin to Harley Street but perhaps not quite as expensive.

Apparently the area where the TV studios was (before they all moved to Salford, just over the M/C city boundary) is being developed.  St John's is a Conservation area.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 February 21 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Sarah -- do you mean you cannot find either of them on any census records?

If that is what you mean -- you will have a father's name on the marriage record, and if you know their approximate year of birth -- you can use that to search for each of them - and input a father's name in the appropriate field on the census search screen. (Providing the father wasn't deceased of course.)

Alternatively if you provide that information we will help you look.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline sarahfa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 February 21 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Sarah -- do you mean you cannot find either of them on any census records?

If that is what you mean -- you will have a father's name on the marriage record, and if you know their approximate year of birth -- you can use that to search for each of them - and input a father's name in the appropriate field on the census search screen. (Providing the father wasn't deceased of course.)

Alternatively if you provide that information we will help you look.

Hi Pennies

We've been searching for years and cannot find anything at all on any census, birth etc. All we know is

Charles Bromley b a 1888 father - Richard
Helen Rigby b a 1892 father also Richard
Married 1.4.1916 in Manchester
George Bromley b aug 1921 (nell lane, withington hosp) I don't think Charles was present as ward of the hospital is on the birth cert
Helen remarried 1924 in Ardwick to Frank Holden, she passed away 1937

Any help or tips on places to look would be great and much appreciated.

Sarah

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 February 21 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Where was “St John’s Place”? - have a look, top left of this map - https://luna.manchester.ac.uk/luna/servlet/detail/maps002~1~1~338923~123083?sort=reference_number%2Ctitle

It’s shown as “John’s Place” - little more than a passageway running off Camp Street.

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 February 21 08:41 GMT (UK) »
St John's Street is at the end of Deansgate where Knott Mill Station was apparently it's now called Deansgate Station, Granada TV studios was just off the end of St John's Street.  I imagine St John's Place was somewhere in the same area.  My parents were live-in housekeepers for one of the consultant surgeries there many, many years ago.  Something akin to Harley Street but perhaps not quite as expensive.

Apparently the area where the TV studios was (before they all moved to Salford, just over the M/C city boundary) is being developed.  St John's is a Conservation area.

Granada studios were at the bottom of Quay Street and I think their main building might still be standing. I can, however, go even further back than that; they were previously in a building a couple of hundred yards to the north of this which was taken over by the then “Manchester College of Building”. I studied there for a brief time in the early 70s when it was still known as the “Granada Building”.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 February 21 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Was Charles married before?

There is a married Charles Bromley, born Audenshaw, in 1911; Living in Audenshaw with wife Ellen.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW1P-BTZ
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 February 21 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Granada studios were at the bottom of Quay Street and I think their main building might still be standing. I can, however, go even further back than that; they were previously in a building a couple of hundred yards to the north of this which was taken over by the then “Manchester College of Building”. I studied there for a brief time in the early 70s when it was still known as the “Granada Building”.

My parents were there in the 1960s/early 1970s.  Have to say I never went to the end of St John's Street when we visited, all I know is my mum said Granada was at the end of the street.  Of course, she probably meant go to the end of the street and then walk to Quay Street.