Author Topic: King School Worcerster and Worcester Royal Grammar  (Read 772 times)

Offline allans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Public Tree on Ancestry
    • View Profile
King School Worcerster and Worcester Royal Grammar
« on: Monday 22 February 21 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have acees to the following books?
A. Macdonald, A History of the King's School, Worcester (1936)
M. Craze, King's School, Worcester (1972)
F. W. Follett, A History of the Worcester Royal Grammar School (1951 )
note: Royal Grammar School was previously called Free Grammar School.

Rev Richard Turner (1720-1791) is supposedly a teacher in Worcester in 1761 - does he get a mention?

Acording to https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=486916.9 Tthe Wylde family have an association with the Free Grammar - did they still have a connection with either school in the period 1720-1770?

According to https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/A_Concise_Description_of_the_Endowed_Gra/rY-8ceSYvWoC?hl=en&gbpv=1 page 776/777
The Free Grammer had a legacy to send 10 poor students to Magdalen Hall, Oxford. Rev Richard Turner matriculated from Magdalen Hall - was he one of these poor students?

Any help greatfully received - 'cos until archive reopen I'm stuck!
Tweedie, Garnett,  Smith - !!!, Fearnley,
Bennetts, Waterhouse, Horobin, Tranter

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: King School Worcerster and Worcester Royal Grammar
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 February 21 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allans
No mention of the Reverend Richard Turner in any of those books. It seems that for the Kings School there was a Master and an Usher, no other posts mentioned. The authors indicate they know the names of the university students, but only give the numbers!
F V Follett’s book on the RGS has in Appendix II the Governors and Supervisors of the Free School and Almshouse which includes Alderman Henry Turner. Chapter VI is about “The period of decline and the new Victorian charter 1728-1860. The school had a Highmaster and an Usher for the Lower Department. Highmasters named but not Ushers.
The King’s School has an Archivist. See the school website which gives a contact email address and phone number. I couldn’t see reference to an Archivist at RGS Worcester on their website, so perhaps an enquiry email there too.
The indices to the books do not cover all names, but I looked through the relevant sections. As far as I could see the Wyldes did give land to the King’s School and possibly the last mention is in 1653 concerning John Wylde the Chief Baron of the Public Exchequer.
HTH
Jack

Offline allans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 February 21 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that

CAn you put a date on Alderman Henry Turner - Richard Turner's ancestry is obscure.

Allan

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 February 21 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allans
Henry Turner 1735-1766.
Have you looked at the Clergy Database for Richard Turner?  They have this one in the Worcester Diocese who went to Magdalen Hall:-
Turner, Richard (1749 - 1791). Same death date as yours.
Quite a lot of information on this Richard here
theclergydatabase.org.uk
Jack

Offline allans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. Yes I have seen the clergy database. I cant hep wondering how he had timr to be a teacher, given his clerical commitments. In later life he was a teacher at Loughborough House School (confusingly it was in Brixton), but the clerical database shows his appoinments were only vacant on his death.
Henry Turner could be a relation - a brother or cousin - as I said I am trying to find his ancestry. His father was Thomas. The baptism at Great WItley is a best fit as his Oxford Matriculation says  he is from Great Webley Worcs. There is no such place. There are however other Thomas Turner's having children in Weobley Herefordshire, Ebley in Goucestershire has a child Richard in 1719, who then does ot follw his father into the milling business - he just disappears - no death noted. There are also other Thomas Turners with children, but no other Richard found.
As I said Rev Turners ANcestry is obscure - I am waiting to get to the HIve to do more 'digging'

I have already emailed both schools, Kings replied - furloughed wait until I get back. No reply from Queens.

Allan
Allan

Offline allans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 March 21 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know of a school in Cooken (now Copenhagen) ST in Worcester in the 1750s which may have been run by Richard Turner and have had a pupil called William Hancock Roberts?

Apparently it is referenced in 

G. H. Cameron, John Cameron - non-juror, printed privately by Roger and Broome, Cowley, 1919,
available in Birmingham Reference Library. The chapter from which this information is taken is entitled 'A Romantic Story" and is largely concerned with William Roberts, father of William Hancock Roberts. However, it is partly corroborated by the Glasgow College minute book and some of it at least is based on contemporary sources, in particular an informal ledger cum notebook kept by William Roberts (Worcester Record Office, St. Helens).