Author Topic: What happened to Thomas Thorpe Fogden?  (Read 622 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Thomas Thorpe Fogden?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 February 21 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Think he might be this one RK - Thomas born 1907

The Gazette Montreal, Quebec, Canada 18 Sep 1935, Wed    Page 8

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/71796438/thomas-george-fogden-18-september-1935/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 February 21 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Does he have a brother Herbert. They arrived together in 1912 bound for Ripley, Ontario; Thomas indicates he had previously been in Canada twice.  At the time, Thomas is 24 and Herbert is 21.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 February 21 21:50 GMT (UK) »
On the 1907 record arriving into Canada, there is a matching outbound record from England; however, his name is scratched out which makes me wonder if he ever got on the ship.

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 February 21 22:22 GMT (UK) »
I don't see any middle name for the Thomas G Fogden - just the initial G, or T G.   Sometimes just Thomas.   Could be George?? 

The Toronto Star has an account of the marriage (that Sandra found in the Montreal paper).  It says that Miss Eleanor King MacKinnon, daughter of Mr George D MacKinnon and the late Mrs MacKinnon or Sherbrooke, Que married Mr Thomas G Fogden of Toronto, son of Mr and Mrs T G Fogden of London, England.   The marriage took place in Montreal on 9 Nov 1935.   Then it describes what everyone wore etc etc.  The couple will reside in Toronto.

This is likely the Thomas G Fogden of W & A Gilbey, Toronto.

RK

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all very much for your help. To summarise

1. Tom / Thomas Fogden on the troop ship in 1919 was born in East Wittering abt 1887/8 , son of Frank and Fanny and living in Selsey, Sussex, England in 1901.
2. Thomas George Fogden was b abt 1907 the son of Mr and Mrs T G Fogden of London. Looks like the family in Penge (outskirts of London) in 1911.

I have found both on England censuses before they went to Canada, neither seem to have a brother Herbert.

My Thomas had two brothers, Frank Lambert Fogden and Arthur Patrick Fogden, so no Herbert there either.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 08:40 GMT (UK) »
On the 1907 record arriving into Canada, there is a matching outbound record from England; however, his name is scratched out which makes me wonder if he ever got on the ship.

He must have arrived at Ellis Island immigration centre, because I have found him on a search of site
https://heritage.statueofliberty.org/

But I suppose it is possible he never actually got to Canada, even though that was his intention.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Definitely not the thomas george fogden  he is a different  chap  like lizzie I have found him only  one in family  icant trace
His name is definitely  thomas Thorpe fogden the Thorpe is from his grandmother's  maiden name
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 13:43 GMT (UK) »
For those searching who would like to view its under Canada Passenger List Passenger List - it  showed - Thos Thorpe Fogden  - 1874 and aged 33 years - Arrival Age 33  (should have been 23 years)
Departure Port Southampton, England - Arrival Date 27 May 1907 New York on the Celtic. Going to Toronto.
The note at the top S/S Celtic from Southampton  - May 18/7 - New York 27/5/ 1907

Certainly an elusive chap.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada