Author Topic: Polmaise Castle, Stirling  (Read 945 times)

Offline LAURIE81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Polmaise Castle, Stirling
« on: Monday 22 February 21 17:46 GMT (UK) »
I've just discovered my great-granduncle was a Butler at Polmaise Castle in 1927 at the time of his death. I've never heard of this castle but understand it has since been demolished by the army. Does anyone know about the family who owned it or anyone else who worked there? My great granduncle was from Inverness, then in the Royal Army Medical Corps serving in Egypt during WW1 so not sure how he ended up a butler in Stirling!

Thanks,
Laurie
Mackinnon Macpherson Barron Macleod

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Polmaise Castle, Stirling
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 February 21 18:29 GMT (UK) »
In 1925 only 4 people lived there.  Mrs. Mary Murray (widow and owner) an underkeeper by the name of Andrew Kemp; Edward Webster the chauffer and Alex Grant the forester.  The Murray family were the original owners.  There is a lot of information on this place just by googling.

And who was your G Uncle?

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline LAURIE81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 February 21 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

His name was William Barron Macpherson. His death certificate had is usual address as Polmaise Castle, Stirling. I just assumed as he was a butler, that was where he worked. His wife was Marion who was a nurse.

Thanks,
Laurie
Mackinnon Macpherson Barron Macleod

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 February 21 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Laurie

The book mentioned here might be of interest to you  :)

www.smithartgalleryandmuseum.co.uk/polmaise-castle/

The Castle was built for the Murrays in 1863 and kept by them up to the time your great granduncle would have been there. On the 1930 VR, a John Foy appears as 'Inhabitant Occupier'. I think he was the gamekeeper and lived on the grounds with his family.

One quick check you can do is on Scotlands People and its Valuation Rolls index. Free to register and search. With the VRs, you can search by address. You only need units to view the image(s). www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

There is a facebook page for it, 'Lost Gardens of Polmaise Castle'. Fab photos and history and lots of chat from people who seem to know it very well www.facebook.com/groups/3051656558271455/

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 00:21 GMT (UK) »
A trial subscription to British Newspaper Archives might be worthwhile too, as the castle is mentioned numerous times over the years.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .