Author Topic: Help with a Latin will sentence from 1630  (Read 82 times)

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Large Family circa 1906
    • View Profile
Help with a Latin will sentence from 1630
« on: Tuesday 23 February 21 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi All. Last week I got some fabulous help with details of an administration of a will of Jane Parvis from 1614 and at the end of that post I mentioned about details relating to her son John Parvis of North Fawley, Berkshire. His will is available on the National Archives website from 1629 but the piece number covering that wasn't available on Ancestry - however the sentence relating to that will from 1630 is available on Ancestry.

John's will was written in June 1629, he was not married and didn't have any children but bequeathed sums of money to various relatives:

His nephew Humfrey Gunter and his children - two are named - Lester and John.
His nephew Henry Gunter and his daughter Mary, son Henry, son Humfrey and other children not named.
His brother in law Humfrey Gunter and his other children (he was the father of the Humfrey and Henry named above) and his daughter Elizabeth wife of Edward Davies.
His sister Ann Ffawne/Fawne
His sister Mary Mitchell

Also names two unrelated people Thomas Tanter/Traunter and William Westwood

He named his brother in law and nephew Humfrey Gunter snr & jnr as his executors and his nephew Henry was a witness.

I know that John had a sister Valentine - named in his father's will of 1587 who then seems to have been subsequently known as Edith. She is named in her mother's will as Edith (no surname) and in her brother Thomas's will of 1617 (a snip of that detail is also included for some help to decipher Edith's surname (highlighted) - definitely starts with a P as it is the same P as is used in "Parvys" and ends in a y, but unsure if it is something like Pirry, Perry, Pinny, Penny etc.) She is not mentioned in John's will so I am presuming she had died before him.

John also had a sister Joan/Jane who is named in her father's will and mother's will and brother Thomas's will and her surname given on Thomas's will looks to be spelled Storey. From what I can make out in the sentence of John's will she seems to be mentioned as Jonam Parvis alias Story. So I am wondering if she was still alive and had contested his will as she had not been mentioned/left anything.

I am not after a word for word transcription but would like to understand the general gist of what the case was about if possible!

The following is available on Ancestry via the Records of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury collection, Series PROB 11; Class: PROB 11; Piece: 157 and is copyright the National Archives and is reproduced in order to help with deciphering in chunks.

Thanks in advance for taking a look and helping me out - it is very much appreciated.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a Latin will sentence from 1630
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 13:04 GMT (UK) »
From Thomas's will:

Edith Pirry
Jane Skorey

Also:  ...Jewel Parvys my sayde brother...

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 13:08 GMT (UK) »
In both Snip 2 & 3 of the Sentence:

...Jane Parvis al(ia)s Scory...

ADDED:

In Snip 1 of the Sentence:

...Janam Parvis al(ia)s Scory...

This is just the accusative form of the same name in Latin.

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Horsleydown86 - I wasn't sure if it was Storey or Skorey so thanks for confirming that as Skorey/Scory and re Edith's surname. I wish I knew what part of the country Jane and Edith settled in as well as their other sister Mary Mitchell/Michell to find out anything more definitive for them as the Parvis family spread out from Wiltshire/Berkshire with Jewell and Thomas settling in Wisborough Green in Sussex but not found any other records for the other sisters other than Elizabeth who married Humfrey Gunter as she was buried in Fawley, Berkshire in 1626.

I do know that Elizabeth Parvis and Humfrey Gunter had several children in North Moreton/Fawley and their eldest son Humfrey married Mary Cresswell in Appleby Magna, Leicestershire in 1611. She had been a ward of Lettice Knollys/Devereaux/Dudley/Blount - the countess of Essex and Leicester - and had met Humfrey who was working in Lettice's household at the time and I believe they stayed up in Leicester for most of their marriage and then she died in February 1621/22 and was buried down in Fawley and at some point after that Humfrey remarried and had at least two further children John and Mary in Fawley. It is noted that he and Mary had a child together but no baptism record found as yet however a son Lester is mentioned in John Parvis's will - and I have found reference to a Lester Gunter sailing to New England in 1634 aged 13 which would fit with having been born shortly before Mary died.

Hoping perhaps the details of the sentence case for John Parvis's will might expand a little more on the details of Jane Scory/Storey. I find it interesting she is known by both Parvis and Scory/Skorey rather than simply by her married name.

Thanks again

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Update - have now found a burial in West Knoyle in 1623 for an Edith Pirrye (and her will) so seems like Edith may have remained in the area where her mother died in 1614 - just a shame that the West Knoyle parish registers are patchy for the late 1500s and early 1600s.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hoping perhaps the details of the sentence case for John Parvis's will might expand a little more on the details of Jane Scory

The purpose of a Judicial Sentence is to provide, for probate-registry purposes, a record of the court’s final decision in a dispute. It does not normally give the details of that dispute.

In this case, Jane Parvis alias Scory, sister of the deceased John Parvis of North Fawley, has challenged the validity of John's will. She claims that Humphrey Gunter the younger should have acted as administrator rather than executor, and should have distributed the assets as if John Parvis had died intestate. That would suggest Jane did not benefit from the will as it stood. As a sister, she would have benefited under the laws of intestacy if the will were to be judged invalid.

The judge has heard the evidence and, after taking advice, he has determined that the will of John Parvis is valid as it stands, he was of sound mind when he made it, the executors (Humphrey Gunter the elder and the younger) were appointed correctly in accordance with the law, and Jane’s challenge is therefore dismissed. The judge’s final decree to this effect was issued on 9 June 1630.

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that Bookbox - really helpful to understand why that case was brought up. Indeed Jane was not a beneficiary of John's will. I wonder if perhaps they fell out for some reason? Likely I will never know!