Author Topic: Photo date help please - Constance Baggaley  (Read 952 times)

Offline baggers2011

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photo date help please - Constance Baggaley
« on: Tuesday 23 February 21 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello, new here and would really appreciate some help dating the attached photograph. I’ve been told it’s my g g grandmother Constance Josephine Baggaley (nee Underwood, 1863-1936, lived in and around Manchester, UK, all her life). But I have photos of another lady who I think is more likely to be Constance because of the other people that appear in photographs with her. I’d love any opinions on a likely decade and how old this lady looks. The physical photograph is on glossy paper measuring 8x6 inches in a Star Photography, Leigh-on-Sea card folder, but I think this might be a red herring and it may be a copy taken from an earlier photograph? As members of the family didn’t move to Leigh-on-Sea until around the 1940s and I’m sure the photo was taken earlier than that (if it IS Constance it must have been taken earlier as she died in 1936). I haven’t been able to find dates for the studio. Thanks in advance

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photo date help please - Constance Baggaley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Early 1900's?  The lace collar on her blouse reminds me of that time. 

If it was your lady born 1863 I would say she looks around 40+ there so could be her.

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 22:02 GMT (UK) »
I think it might be late 1930s or into the 1940s but not sure.  I'll draw Carol's attention to this.

Carol.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RootsChat, I don't think it's who you think it is, it's too modern for the date that you suggest, I would be more inclined to think it was taken in the 30s or even the 40s. It's more likely to be the next generation.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Glad we both seem to think it's that vintage, Carol. I couldn't see it as the earlier date. The hair, earrings and makeup suggested that era to me.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I agree, also the collar on the blouse. Also, if it was Early Edwardian, the format would have been either a cabinet card or a postcard photo.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I agree, also the collar on the blouse.
Carol

Just noticed the edging - I missed that.

It reminds me of my father's two sisters in law. Both had hairstyles like that.  :D

Offline baggers2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much for your replies. 1930s or 40s would make it someone else, which I had hoped would be the case, but now to try and work out who! Also, if it is an original taken at the studio in Leigh-on-Sea as per the card it is in, I guess some more digging into when that studio was active would help - wish me luck  :)