Author Topic: Maddock / Maddocks / Maddox / Maddix  (Read 905 times)

Offline ElaineB1975

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maddock / Maddocks / Maddox / Maddix
« on: Tuesday 23 February 21 14:49 GMT (UK) »
My great grandmother was Mary Maddock, daughter of Daniel and Mary Maddock (nee Mansfield) and having done some research I see that there was a lot of misspelling of the surname hence the above variants.

I am looking to see if there are people out there who have links with the Maddock / Maddocks / Maddox / Maddix family as they were mainly based in and round Butcher's Lane / Mayor's Walk / Barrack Street / Newgate Street.

Any information would be great.

TIA

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline ElaineB1975

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Maddock / Maddocks / Maddox / Maddix
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately I don't and because of incomplete records I cannot find the birth of my great grandmother Mary Maddock but can find her registration of marriage in 1884 and her father & mother registration of marriage in 1865 (which I've attached).

I can't get any further than what you have discovered and am trying to connect the dots as I do feel that they are possible relations but cannot join them together as when my descendants married or had children if they couldn't spell they just took the spelling that was written down by the Registrar hence the different spellings.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 18:02 GMT (UK) »
........I cannot find the birth of my great grandmother Mary Maddock but can find her registration of marriage in 1884 and her father & mother registration of marriage in 1865 (which I've attached).

You didn't attach the second record, so this is the marriage of your gt gt grandparents in 1865.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1865/11594/8267016.pdf

Don't rule out this birth record for your gt grandmother Mary. Even though it says John, maybe his wife called him John as well as Daniel  ???     MMN Mansfield    #469
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1866/03526/2297762.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline nowel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 18:07 GMT (UK) »
The birth record listed by KG above with father listed as John is probably your Mary as there seems to be only the one marriage between a Maddox and Mansfield in Waterford or surrounding counties.
The address on the Civil cert is given as John St. which adjoins Newgate St.  John St. is in the R.C parish of St.Johns, Unfortunately the baptism registers for the 1850/60's are either lost or very badly damaged.
On the 1901 census they are shown in Newgate St. as Maddix. Both Daniel and Mary Mansfield give their birthplace as County Waterford with the children shown as born in the city.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Waterford/Waterford_Town/Newgate_Street/1763853/

Daniel died 29/6/1907. He is indexed as David on www.irishgenealogy.ie but cert is Daniel.
Weldon - Waterford.
Smale, Small - Sussex, Kent.
Treacy - Waterford, U.K, New York. South Africa
Van Eesbeck - Waterford, Limerick, Belgium, U.S
Purcell -  Kilkenny, Waterford
Flood - Waterford.
O'Neill - Waterford, Kilkenny, Wexford.
Nicholson - Waterford

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Daniel died 29/6/1907. He is indexed as David on www.irishgenealogy.ie but cert is Daniel.

Good find, nowel  ;D

The error in transcription as David rather than Daniel has been reported.
Here's the link-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1907/05520/4547191.pdf

I notice on GeoHive that Mayors Walk (where Daniel died) was just around the corner from Newgate Street.

KG

Offline nowel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 19:44 GMT (UK) »
All the addresses listed are within 200yds of Mayors Walk.
As regards the different forename for Daniel  - the names of some of his children changed between baptism and civil registration :
Brigid - baptised 28/2/1869.   Civil reg  - Catherine dob 24/2/1869
Anastasia  - baptised  26/11/1882.   Civil reg - Ellen dob 15/12/1882  ??? registered 8/1/1883
Weldon - Waterford.
Smale, Small - Sussex, Kent.
Treacy - Waterford, U.K, New York. South Africa
Van Eesbeck - Waterford, Limerick, Belgium, U.S
Purcell -  Kilkenny, Waterford
Flood - Waterford.
O'Neill - Waterford, Kilkenny, Wexford.
Nicholson - Waterford

Offline ElaineB1975

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 February 21 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your help.  :)  Everything that you have found and attached is exactly what I had found myself but was unsure of.

What threw me off scent about the Daniel Death was the daughter's name was Bridget Ryan as I had researched and found she had married a John Gough in the USA but looking again I discovered that she remarried in 1902 to a Michael Ryan and has herself registered as a Spinster so one mystery solved.

Glad I published it here now as you've just confirmed everything that I was suspecting was correct.