Author Topic: Historic dwelling  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Historic dwelling
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 10:01 GMT (UK) »
  I occasionally drive past my old house, but I prefer not to look at it, as it is no longer white but a horrible sludgy brown. I presume it is to do with maintenance, but am surprised that it has been allowed. Kent weatherboard should be white!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 10:33 GMT (UK) »
I went back to the house I grew up in 30 years after leaving it.  I don't recommend it.  The house was run down with ramshackle buildings attached to it and really looked as though no one cared.  But the houses all around were dilapidated, too,  and the town itself looked dirty and neglected.  Maybe we see things from our youth with rose-coloured spectacles, but I really wouldn't advise a return visit unless you are prepared to be disappointed.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 10:43 GMT (UK) »
  I quite agree; it is rather the opposite for me as country villages have gone up-market rather than down, but there is nothing much to recognise. Not really surprising after 50 years, and anyone coming back to the village I live in now would have similar feelings!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Whenever I go to visit my mum I see the house I was born in as it is opposite where she still lives. We moved to the other side of the road to a slightly bigger 1960 bungalow.
I can see the bedroom window where I was born and I often think it should have a blue plaque beside it  ;)
What irks me most is that the house that I live in now is 140 years old approx and I haven’t been able to find a single birth in it ! 3 deaths and a marriage so far but no babies and by the look of it there won’t be unless I miraculously discover some poor, heavily pregnant woman caught short when visiting  ;D

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 15:26 GMT (UK) »
The farmhouse where I was born was tarted up regardless a couple of decades ago, think it's got everything - probably jacuzzi, swimming pool, wine cellar,  everything. It has got electrical security gates to the road to it. When we were there it had a shippon, barns, dairy, muck heap, etc.....
How times change!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 15:43 GMT (UK) »
I passed by with my Dad about ten years ago.  That house seemed so small and a later occupant had enclosed the front porch and made it into a sun room.  The street was paved!  The pear tree was gone and so was the neighbor's mulberry. The empty lot across the street was no longer empty.  There had been a giant glacial erratic boulder there which my father must have been sitting on when he took that picture.  The meadow was much improved by sixty years of mostly undisturbed regrowth.  It was just empty land when I lived there, not a popular recreation spot.  We used to prowl around out there for tadpoles and such in the summer and ice skate on the little ponds in the winter.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 16:16 GMT (UK) »
It good to hear that so many Family homes have survived. I know many will have changed beyond recognition and I suppose that destroys some of the memories. In later life, everything looks so much smaller than how you remember it growing up.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU