Author Topic: DNAKits  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNAKits
« on: Tuesday 23 February 21 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,       has anyone else run into this.......Hope I am not offending or causing issues here....

I recently purchased a DNA Kit from FH.  There was no statement that a certain level of membership was required in order to access ALL of the resultant information. 

I have been a member on this search unit for many years and paid annually, and I paid that right in the middle of the kit being processed, for 2021.

Now the results are through but there are parts that I am not permitted to access unless I upgrade my account.  This entails paying another amount almost as big as my usual premium.     

Not happy at all.

Essnell

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DNAKits
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 06:31 GMT (UK) »
I can’t help with your query, but can you tell us which company you took the DNA test with?

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

Yes. It was MyHeritage.

Essnell

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 11:24 GMT (UK) »
I can’t help with your query, but can you tell us which company you took the DNA test with?

I agree. I assume that FH is the company, but can't quite work out which one that means. It may help to us come with a solution or advice if the the OP could let us now which company, which level of membership he/she has at present, and what information is unavailable without upgrading.

There is zero chance of causoing offence or issues by providing us with this information.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 12:10 GMT (UK) »
HI Farmeroman,

Ruskie asked the same and it is in Reply # 2. 

I am not sure what level I have as it was done so long ago and I have never had reason to alter that. Possibly just a first level.

Most of the information provided is really good and there are numerous things to look at, but I am not able to view any of the Trees that come with the matches which is essential to working out if these are real matches. For me to view those they ask me to upgrade.

I have been working with another relative with their data and I can easily see those trees...if there is one. 

Regards Essnell

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 12:20 GMT (UK) »
I don't have a subscription to My Heritage, but I did upload raw data from a couple of DNA tests (taken with FTDNA) to My Heritage.

I could see basic matches, but had to pay a one off payment to unlock the full range of features. I then had access to everything - matches, chromosome browser, etc etc.

I have not been asked to take out a subscription to My Heritage.

Is it only the trees you can't view? I think that some might be private and you may need to ask the tree owner if you can view them. I often get this message. I didn't know it was related to subscriptions though.

I hope someone with a My Heritage sub can help you further. Alternatively, send My Heritage a message.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 12:46 GMT (UK) »
HI Ruskie,

Thank you, I can use the chromosome browser and I think I can do the Cluster analysis but on the huge match list I just am blocked out of seeing those trees.  And if that is so what happens to the trees one is supposed to have access to from the Cluster Analysis.

The message I got was that I would have to pay this extra  AUD to make up the difference to a  higher level.    Looks like I am stuck with paying  if I want to do this.   Wonder if later I could just go back to basic.

I shall contact them and  see if they can explain the Why this is the case.

Thanks for helping
Regards Essnell.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 13:01 GMT (UK) »
That seems very odd and quite wrong. Have you checked all their small print about what you can and can't see with your subscription? There might be something hidden away.

I'm sure this will put off anyone with a My Heritage subscription buying a My Heritage DNA test.

Let us know what response you get from them.

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Have you linked the test to your previous subscription
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY