Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 23rd February  (Read 503 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Tuesday 23rd February
« on: Wednesday 24 February 21 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Morning everyone,  looks like I'm first again!

This was my Tuesday:

Was hoping to get some gardening done but that was thwarted by the gale force winds that continued throughout the day and evening. Made my trip to the nurseries, there were a lot of perennials that had been damaged or maybe even killed by the freezing weather we had. I only bought two bags of compost and two packets of seeds, rudbeckia and nasturtiums. When I got home I changed shoes and went for a walk, the wind was horrendous, it nearly blew me off my feet as I crossed the field. There was nothing pleasant about it and I wasn't out long before returning home.

Spent the afternoon doing domestic admin, made changes to my Tesco order, put some washing in. Later on I took the compost out of the car, on my way through the garage I put some in a plastic box then when I was in the house I planted some of the rudbeckia seeds in it, put a plastic tray underneath and put it in a polythene bag, placed in kitchen windowsill to germinate. Took the bags of compost through to the garden. Would have been going for a walk with my friend about five but the weather wasn't suitable, hoping to meet on Thursday instead.

The day had slipped by, watched some TV, the rest of The Windermere Children. It was interesting at the end to see the real men that some of them had grown into and that they had made a success of their lives.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 23rd February
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Did not go for a walk yesterday, had bad indigestion and just felt I wanted to be quiet.
Phoned son to see how he is,also troubled with digestive problems,a family curse!He is undergoing extensive tests , C.T scan coming up soon.
My Mum was a martyr to it.
However got a fair bit  done but  have  to remember not  to lean forward!

Son on phone and what was going to be a fifteen minutes chat extended  into nearly an hour .
He is good to me.
 Obviously  worried and normally would,now he has retired, be under one of his old cars tinkering ,or rebuilding a Vesta scooter he has ,etcetc, however he is not interested according to his wife.
A bad sign with him.Blood tests would have revealed a lot but they have been OK.So just wait until after the  scan.
Dull and rainy here again,but  mild.

Pointsettia has new leaves coming, re potted it and am considering pruning the top off and if it survives then next AutumnI think it needs so much time in the dark, will look it up.
Friend in Shropshire doing reasonably well , I do hope I get to see her in the near future,well June I suppose.
She will be 93 in May .
Have tried phoning my husband’s sister, the only one left of the  family now, but no answer and she never returns messages ,however her son  and daughter live very close so she will be alright I am sure.
No plans for  today but was going to make a cheese and onion pie ,well that was the plan but that is very bold considering I already have indigestion ,!
Ah well, tomorrow is another day.
My front gate won’t close,swollen with the rain ,I can fix it ,needs a bit planing off but wet wood is no joke so just wait for some dry weather by which time it probably will close!

Post not been yet ,so much bumf !
All the “ Old Lady “ catalogues !
However one  has some good bird feeders  and plant supports ,which grip the cane but not the plant ,which has some room for a bit of movement ,which I ordered last year but were out of stock.
Good for the gladioli .
No real news folks , look after yourselves .
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 13:20 GMT (UK) »
A beautiful sunny day which really lifted my spirits.   Usual routine so nothing worth commenting on there.

However, one bit of good news.  One of my great nieces has a number of problems and her previous school did absolutely nothing to positively help her.   Her parents, her uncle (and godfather) together with SEND took on the school and won!   Last September she moved up to secondary school (where her older sister is) which is a challenge for any child.   Plus of course children have had COVID to deal with and home schooling.  Yesterday they had parents consultations with the school.   They said she is doing so well and has come so far and what a lovely kind-hearted girl she is.  Just goes to show what a little bit of kindness, understanding and patience can do.   So proud of her and the new school - what a difference a year can make.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 15:21 GMT (UK) »
We love cheese and onion pie, but it always results in galloping indigestion - brilliant OH tweaked the recipe, adding potato, which seems to cut or absorb the heavy oiliness of the cheese - wonderful!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Yes I agree, it is nicer and more digestible with some potato included.
I also make sure the onions are sliced thinly and boiled before going into the pie.
Hairy bikers recipe.

Glad your great niece has settled and showing her abilities, it is amazing how school children re act differently to different teachers and environments .
I hope I never squashed a struggling child , some staff almost acted as if a struggling child was to blame!
I have to say that type were very much in the minority , very much so.

A lot of problems started when “ percentage added value “ came into being, ie how much had a child progressed from first starting school to leaving .
Ridiculous!
Emphasis on the bright ones often.
Hope some nice weather is on the way soon, it does pick you up.
Viktoria.
Thanks.Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 February 21 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Late again! It’s getting to be a habit 😢!

Sorry to hear Roobarb that your weather wasn’t too good... I’m impressed you braved the wind to be able to get out....  hope Thursday is a better walk for you to meet up with your friend...

Viktoria - sorry to hear you’ve got indigestion troubles... not sure onion and cheese is best thing to aid it though... also sorry to hear about your son... worrying times for you but nice to have a long telephone chat with him...
I had a poinsettia some years ago that I kept for several years... it grew into quite a beast... red leaves appeared which was a real surprise but it was kept in a dark spot until winter time ... it likes being under the electric light from the landing funnily enough... in the end it got so big we chopped it and that was the end of that!

Annette - good news for your gt niece, it just needs the right staff and attention for children to flourish and to give them a good memorable school experience., very pleasing for you all..

My day

Now it’s almost 24 hours forward I’m having a lot of trouble remembering what I did yesterday....
As it was a sunny day I decided to do some washing ... and yes the machine made the most dreadful noise.... so I’m glad it’s going to be looked at next week...
I did some ironing...
We played scrabble...
We went for a walk and it felt warm and it was a pleasure to feel the sunshine .. just a village walk...
The rest of the day was pretty much the same as other days... nothing memorable..
I don’t even remember what we had for dinner...oh yes I made a chicken casserole and cooked it in the slow cooker...
That’s about the sum of my day... wildly exciting...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK