Author Topic: John Craven b ~1825 emigrated to America 1846 to Louisiana from County Roscommon  (Read 3805 times)

Offline AngloIrishSam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Craven b ~1825 emigrated to America 1846 to Louisiana from County Roscommon
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 March 21 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it’s a bit of a nightmare. Worst thing is there are volunteers who advise that the records are available from 1842 in Taughmaconnell including advisors on Ireland reaching out and ancestry as well as findmypast claim the records are available from 1842. So obviously when one is doing searches and my ancestor who was born in 1844 wasn’t where I thought he would be I looked at the original microfilms and found the missing records. Problem is according to the diocese the records for that period are available but admitted they didn’t know where the originals were and are baffled as to what has happened. They suggested st ronans and myself and another lady have both contacted the church but with no response. The priest during the time of the missing records was Patrick galvin. He was priest from 1843-1862 ish (top of my head again). Surely that’s not coincidence. Obviously finding these mystery records is important because it will answer so many questions for me LOL. And other cravens.

Wow that’s excited about the California governor. Which governor was it and how are they connected to John? So I can post it in my Facebook group lol 

Offline SharleneM54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Craven emigrated to America 1846 to Louisiana from County Roscommon
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 March 21 14:18 GMT (UK) »
I am looking at the map and found Taughmaconnell and it is not far from Ballinasloe.  Both are in the southern part of the county.  That is good and also evidence that these Cravens are related.  The one's descending from John Craven born in 1823 and came to Louisiana in 1846 and his wife, Mary Finnegan.

The DNA match that named Ballinasloe helps also to provide evidence that the southern Cravens are likely related.

Offline AngloIrishSam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Craven b ~1825 emigrated to America 1846 to Louisiana from County Roscommon
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 March 21 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Tbf Sharlene, the registration district for half of Taughmaconnell is ballinasloe. So for example those who left to the west of the parish of Taughmaconnell were registered as ballinasloe, and to the east of Taughmaconnell parish people are registered as athlone. In some records it’s registered as brides well. My ancestors come from coolfree and rockland townland in Taughmaconnell parish but it is registered as ballinasloe on death certificates etc. Also just to note moylough is in north Galway near killian. It’s not in ballinasloe so there is some confusion there somewhere. Btw I sent you an invite to the Facebook group last night, you may need to check junk etc but if you accept it should take you to the Facebook group. Easier to talk to us all then lol.

Offline AngloIrishSam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 22 March 21 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Also based on the name of johns eldest son I am going to hazard a guess that Johns father was either a Michael or a John. And you will find both names on the griffiths valuation in 1855. I think Michael was older as I haven’t been able to find a death certificate for him meaning he died before 1863 but after 1855. This could indeed by your Johns father, or his brother. The John on the griffiths valuation of 1855 seems to be a bit younger and possibly too young to be your johns father.

Also note when looking at the griffiths valuation that they often have lots of records for the same name so a few plots for John, Martin, William, Michael and so forth. These are not different people. If you look at the original records of the griffiths it will tell you what is on the plot ie a house. You will find that there is usually one plot with a house and the rest of the plots of the same name are just land plots. When you study the ordinance survey maps you will see that there plots are actually together and the houses are grouped together. It helps if you learn what the letters mean in the original documents so you can find the plot on the maps - ask ireland.com is really good for this as it allows you to look at old maps and modern maps. Specifically however on Taughmaconnell townland there is a William, Michael and John. On coolfree and camla there is Martin craven (my ancestor). He has 2 plots one with house on coolfree and land on camla (or other way round) but they are next to each other. We also have a William and James living on cuilfadda townland. This is in 1855. All these townlands are in the parish of Taughmaconnell.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: John Craven emigrated to America 1846 to Louisiana from County Roscommon
« Reply #22 on: Monday 22 March 21 14:55 GMT (UK) »
I am looking at the map and found Taughmaconnell and it is not far from Ballinasloe. 

Taghmaconnell townland NE of Ballinasloe.
https://www.townlands.ie/roscommon/athlone/taghmaconnell/taghmaconnell/taghmaconnell/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline AngloIrishSam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 22 March 21 18:10 GMT (UK) »
https://i1.wp.com/taughmaconnell.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/IMG_0003-001.jpg?w=701&ssl=1

Here is a useful resource covering the parish of Taughmaconnell. It includes all the townlands in the parish including the ones I have mentioned. There is a townland called Taughmaconnell with some cravens. However, the cravens are on other townlands within the parish of Taughmaconnell

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 22 March 21 18:26 GMT (UK) »
https://i1.wp.com/taughmaconnell.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/IMG_0003-001.jpg?w=701&ssl=1

There is a townland called Taughmaconnell with some cravens.

The map lists and shows the townlands in Taghmaconnell civil parish. The townland of Taghmaconnell is on the list.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline AngloIrishSam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 22 March 21 18:32 GMT (UK) »
I know lol. It’s just the link I shared is a picture and it helps to gauge perspective of the cravens within the parish, as often they have plots covering 2 townlands and it’s helpful to see them visually as they are usually next to each other.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 13:11 GMT (UK) »

Here is a useful resource covering the parish of Taughmaconnell. It includes all the townlands in the parish including the ones I have mentioned. There is a townland called Taughmaconnell with some cravens. However, the cravens are on other townlands within the parish of Taughmaconnell

Map of civil parish of Taghmaconnell showing townland locations.
https://leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/taghmaco.html

Same map with townlands in alphabetical order. The one I posted is in colour.  :)
Cowban