Author Topic: John Craven b ~1825 emigrated to America 1846 to Louisiana from County Roscommon  (Read 3717 times)

Offline SharleneM54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello all ~  I am trying to find out the names of the parents for John Craven who was born 24 June 1823 in Ireland, possibly County Roscommon.  His obituary says he came to New Orleans, Louisiana in 1846 from County Roscommon in Ireland.  I would like some advice as to the best sources to find him in County Roscommon if he was born there.  I would like to find him living there prior to leaving Ireland and then find his birthplace and parents names.

What are the best resources?

Thanks -- any help is appreciated.
Sharlene

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Craven b ~1825 emigrated to America 1846 to Louisiana from County Roscommon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 February 21 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.
Does John's obituary give any more information apart from him coming from Roscommon? Were any relatives mentioned? Did he marry before or after leaving Ireland? What was his occupation? His religious denomination?
Were there any possible relatives living in New Orleans? Other people from Roscommon?
John was born 40 years before civil registration of births began in Ireland so he wouldn't have had a birth certificate. Registrations of Protestant marriages began 1845. Survival of church registers of all denominations from first half of 19th century is patchy.

Irish Genealogy Toolkit is a guide to resources.
 http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/

You can look up a surname on Irish Ancestors Wizard to see where it was common in certain records.
https://www.johngrenham.com/wizard
Cowban

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Craven b ~1825 emigrated to America 1846 to Louisiana from County Roscommon
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 February 21 09:20 GMT (UK) »
His obituary states he came from Roscommon to New Orleans at age 23 in 1846.
He married 16 January 1848 They moved to California June 1856 first to San Francisco, then Stockton. He was a night watchman at the State Capitol from ? (hard to see) until 1891.
Funeral held from his residence 23 September 1894

Find a Grave
He was buried St Joseph's Cemetery, Eugene, Stanislaus County California.
The stone also has wife Mary 1826-1915, son Daniel 1865-1880

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 February 21 09:34 GMT (UK) »
His wife died 4 November 1915  her obituary also says she was a native of Ireland nothing specific.
age 89 years 24 days,
Services at St Mary's Church internment at St Joseph's Cemetery.

I looked up the cemetery it does not give a denomination

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 February 21 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Services at St Mary's Church internment at St Joseph's Cemetery.
I looked up the cemetery it does not give a denomination

I'd guess Catholic.
I looked up the surname Craven on Irish Wizard website. There are many variations e.g. Creaghan. 
Cowban

Offline SharleneM54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 19:50 GMT (UK) »
The church that he attended in California was a Roman Catholic Church.  It is likely that he was a Catholic.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogical website
https://leitrim-roscommon.com/index.shtml
There's an associated surnames list.

Ireland Reaching Out
https://irelandxo.com
A contributor to Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy website is a volunteer on Ireland Reaching Out.

County Roscommon boundary was changed by the Local Government Ireland Act 1898. Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy website has information about it under topic "Transferred townlands".
Cowban

Offline SharleneM54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thank you for the information.  I will check it out.  Sharlene Miller

Offline AngloIrishSam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 March 21 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My name is Samantha Craven, and my family descend from the Cravens of Roscommon. I have actually done the ancestry DNA test and matched a branch of Cravens who moved to New Orleans. They descend from a John Craven (1823) and a Mary Finegan. They moved to Ireland in the 1840s and seem to be the earliest Cravens in our family to emigrate to the US. The rest that went later went to Boston and NYC, and some to England including my ancestors.

This could well be your ancestor but if not it is likely he is from the same Cravens still. The Cravens in 1855 were predominantly in south roscommon, namely Taughmaconnell. There is a large family of Cravens on the griffiths valuation of 1855. I am related to all of these and have DNA matched many of their descendants today. There is also a family in the parish of cam but this is small and again still the same Cravens as I have DNA matched them too. The Cravens of South Roscommon are all related. Also John is a big name in the Craven family (past and present). My grandads dad was actually called John too.

Anyway, hope this helps somehow.

Best wishes

Sam