Author Topic: Martha SCOTT, Grocer of Evesham  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Tortoiseshell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martha SCOTT, Grocer of Evesham
« on: Wednesday 24 February 21 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rootschatters,

Martha SCOTT is listed as a Grocer in the "Principal Inhabitants of Evesham 1791" (transcription) on the parishmouse site, viz "Scott, Martha Grocer &c".

Jeremiah SCOTT is listed as a Grocer, Bridge-street Evesham in Lewis's Directory of 1820. 

I have quite a lot of information on Jeremiah but none of it has, thus far, enabled me to establish whether he and Martha are related in some way.  The "&c" at the end of her directory entry suggests that she was not alone in her business; it is also not clear whether Scott was her married name or not.

I can find no burial at Evesham for Martha. There are relatively few Scott's in the Evesham parish registers which suggests they originated elsewhere - this is certainly true for Jeremiah, who was born Staffordshire, but researching the extended family for his place of origin has not led me to a suitable candidate for her.

Jeremiah and his wife Phoebe (nee Tolley) married by licence at Worcester, St Clement in 1806, their daughter Elizabeth was baptised All Saint's, Evesham in 1807; followed by another daughter Mary in 1810 and then Jane Anne 1812.  In 1806 Jeremiah would have been 32/33 and he may already have been in Evesham prior to that date - I just don't know at this point.

If anyone recognises this Martha (or Jeremiah for that matter) and has some information that might help me resolve the question of who she was, I would be delighted to receive it.

Kind regards

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Martha SCOTT, Grocer of Evesham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 March 21 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tortoiseshell
Might be worth sending an enquiry to the Worcestershire Archives asking them to look at the 29 August 1775 Probate for Alexander Scott of Evesham to see if Martha or Jeremiah are mentioned.
HTH
Jack

Offline Tortoiseshell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 March 21 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jack

Thanks, my list of things to look at at Worcester is growing ever longer.

Certainly the timing of Alexander's demise and the entry for Martha SCOTT in the Directory of Evesham is intriguing and I shall certainly follow up your suggestion. 

I thought I might just as well share here what I know (or think I know) of Alexander SCOTT:

Marriage at Evesham, All Saints on 12th Jan 1769 of Alexander SCOTT and Patty Margery PHIPPS.
Witnesses: Ann CLARK and Richard HORNE

Agness SCOTT daughter of Alexander and Patty Margery SCOTT baptised at the Old Meeting House (Independent), Kidderminster on 18th May 1775.  I can find no children of the couple baptised before this date.

There is a burial of an Alexander SCOTT at Dodderhill on 15th Jun 1774 - which would tie in nicely (if that's the right word) with a probate in 1775.

There appears a marriage of their daughter at Evesham, All Saints on 4th Sep 1793: John BEEZLEY of Bengworth and Agness SCOTT of Evesham, All Saints. Witnesses: Sarah PURSER and John TERRET

Interestingly, the BEEZLEY's appear to have been Quakers and of Worcester.  In the non-conformist BMD registers RG6/808 is a record of a John BEESLEY, son of John and Hannah BEESLEY, born 2nd Sep 1764. 

Records for the Friends Burial Ground in Worcester include Hannah BEESLEY, widow of the late John BEESLEY, she having died 18th Nov 1798 and buried the 25th.  There does not appear to be burial for John senior.

Probably more of a reply than you might have anticipated !!

Regards

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 March 21 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tortoiseshell
Yes a longer reply but interesting about the Non-Conformist and Quaker connections.
Jack

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 07:23 GMT (UK) »
You might want to try The Evesham Index.  It's not on-line, but might be worth a punt.  Follow the link to contact the holders.  http://www.bromsgrovebmsgh.co.uk/cms/worcestershire-resources/11-evesham-index.html

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 March 21 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tortoiseshell
In your longer message you mentioned the Beesley family.

I have made enquiries on your behalf with a local historian of Worcester Quakers. She has found in the Burial Register that “John Beesley departed this Life ye 13th & was inter’d ye 16th of 11th moth 1766”

Daughter Mary’s birth was 14th of 9th month 1758 and son John’s 2nd 9th month 1764, so John Senior died when the children were young.

As John's name is not on the burial plot documents which were used to create the Worcester Friends burial database, his burial doesn't appear on the following website - under Denominations Quaker:-
https//www.worcesteranddudleyhistoricalchurches.org.uk

HTH
Jack

Offline Tortoiseshell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 March 21 22:59 GMT (UK) »
You might want to try The Evesham Index.  It's not on-line, but might be worth a punt.  Follow the link to contact the holders.  http://www.bromsgrovebmsgh.co.uk/cms/worcestershire-resources/11-evesham-index.html

Mike

Thanks Mike, it's certainly worth a punt.  I've sent them an email and I'll post back onto this thread anything of relevance.

Offline Tortoiseshell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 December 22 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jack

I finally managed to get to the Hive and view Alexander SCOTT's Will.  It does not mention either Martha SCOTT or Jeremiah SCOTT.

I thought I should post details of it here for your and others information.

In it Alexander SCOTT refers to his "loving wife" but does not name her.  He refers to his daughter Agnes SCOTT and by his Will appoints his friend John RICHARDSON of Kidderminster his Executor and also appoints him as Agnes' Guardian.

It is interesting to note that Agnes was baptised at the Old Meeting House (Independent) in Kidderminster 18 Mar 1775 (RG4/3374).  Clearly, for her to be mentioned in the Will dated 21st April 1774 she was born before that date and probably after her parents marriage on 12th Jan 1769. 

Text of the Will as follows:

Will dated 21st April 1774
Proved Worcester 29th August 1775

This is the Last Will and Testament of me Alexander Scott of Evesham in the County of Worcester Linen Draper First I will that all my just Debts and funeral Expences be fully paid as soon as may be after my Decease and for that purpose I give and bequeath all my Goods Chattells and personal Estate whatsoever and wheresoever unto my friend John Richardson of Kidderminster in the County of Worcester Linen Draper his Executors Administrators and assigns desiring him and them in the first place to pay and satisfy therout all my just Debts funeral Expences and the Expences attending the proving and Execution of this my Will and the Residue thereof (if any shall remain) I will and direct him and them to apply in such manner as he shall judge proper for the Benefit and advantage of my loving Wife during her natural life in case she shall so long continue my [?] Widow and unmarryed and from immediately after her Decease or marrying again which shall first happen, then shall pay such Residue or so much thereof as shall remain unapplyed as aforesaid unto my Daughter Agnes her Exors Admons & assigns And I do hereby nominate constitute and appoint the said John Richardson Executor of this my Will and Guardian of my said Daughter In Witness whereof I have to this my Last Will and Testatment put my hand & Seal this Twenty first day of April in the year of our Lord One Thousand Seven Hundred & Seventy Four
Signed sealed published & declared by the said Testator [?] for his last Will and Testament in the presence of us who at his Request & in his presence have subscribed our Names as Witnesses - Wm Wheeler
Thos Brydges
Alexr Scott
(all three men sign)

29th August 1775 The Executor above named appeared and was sworn in common form of Law before me.  [?]

Unfortunately I did not get time to look at the Beezley Wills, nor to look at the Elizabeth KETTLE of St Lawrence, Evesham who married John SCOTT of Stourbridge at All Saints, Evesham in 1758 - but shall endeavour to do so on my next visit to the Archives, probably next Spring.

Seasons Greetings and best wishes

Hi Tortoiseshell
Might be worth sending an enquiry to the Worcestershire Archives asking them to look at the 29 August 1775 Probate for Alexander Scott of Evesham to see if Martha or Jeremiah are mentioned.
HTH
Jack

Offline Tortoiseshell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 December 22 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mike

For information and perhaps surprisingly I drew a blank in regards to the Evesham Index. 

Seasons greetings and best wishes

Mike