Author Topic: Donald McLeod - Kiltarlity  (Read 678 times)

Offline scotsloon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald McLeod - Kiltarlity
« on: Wednesday 24 February 21 20:11 GMT (UK) »
My great-grandfather Donald McLeod was born in Kiltarlity on 22nd July 1871, there is no father on the birth certificate so he's illegitimate, the mother was a Mary McLeod (farm servant).  I can't find any information on Mary (birth, death etc) or if she got married or had any more kids or even if Donald was brought up by her or someone else.

I'm stuck, anyone any ideas?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Donald McLeod - Kiltarlity
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 21:10 GMT (UK) »
What was Mary's address at the time of the birth? Have you looked for her in the 1871 census?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline scotsloon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 21:36 GMT (UK) »
There is no address for Mary on the register of birth and I don't even think she was literate as her signature is just marked with an 'X'. 

It says he was born in Taivarran (spelling?), Kiltarlity.  The arran part is definately right but the first 4 letters could be different.  The witness on the register was just the registrar himself.

The age of the Mary's on the 1871 census for Kiltarlity don't fit as they've only got a 6 year old and a 50 year old and if you include Donald only the 6 year old Mary shows up.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 22:19 GMT (UK) »
There is no address for Mary on the register of birth and I don't even think she was literate as her signature is just marked with an 'X'.
So the implication is that the birth took place in her usual residence.

It says he was born in Taivarran (spelling?), Kiltarlity.  The arran part is definately right but the first 4 letters could be different. 
Could you post the extract with the address here and see if someone can decipher or recognises it?

The witness on the register was just the registrar himself.
What the registrar was witnessing was Mary signing with an X. There isn't normally a witness on a birth certificate unless the person registering the birth is illiterate.

The age of the Mary's on the 1871 census for Kiltarlity don't fit as they've only got a 6 year old and a 50 year old and if you include Donald only the 6 year old Mary shows up.
Hmmm.

In the 1881 census there is an 8-year-old Donald McLeod, boarder, born Kiltarlity, in the household of Donald Macdonald, 74, and his wife Barbara Macdonald, 73, both described as paupers, at Ardindrean, Kiltarlity.

If a child was abandoned or orphaned, or there was no family member who could look after it, the child would become the responsibility of the Parochial Board, who would normally pay for the child to board with a suitable family. I speculate that this is what happened to Donald.

So if I were you I would want to find out whether the Kiltarlity Parochial Board records have survived, and if so what they say about Donald McLeod and his parentage. If the records have survived they are probably in the care of the Highland Archives https://www.highlifehighland.com/highland-archive-centre/

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 22:39 GMT (UK) »
22 Jul 1871 so after the Census
Its Taivarran clearly written.
Donald MacKay, Registrar Witness
"Registered 09 Sep 1871"

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 22:48 GMT (UK) »
It is showing as Tavarran on the a/try transcripts for 1871.

I think this may be the McDonald couple that Donald is boarding with in 1881:

Donald McDonald 66 Crofter Of 14 Ac-of Which 8 Arable
Barbra McDonald 66
Jessie Mcnicol 6 grandchild
Mary McIntosh 12 servant herd

Address: Tavarran, Kiltarlity

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Scotlands Places provide more detail for Teavarran from 1876-78 https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/inverness-shire-os-name-books-1876-1878/inverness-shire-mainland-volume-49/77

There were no McLeods listed as living there in 1871. There were about 8 households living there, with 30 people listed.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scotsloon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 February 21 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help/advise, I'll contact the Highland Archive Centre to see if they can shed a light on things.