Author Topic: Update on George Oxby Smith 1868-1947  (Read 2804 times)

Offline kaziah

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Update on George Oxby Smith 1868-1947
« on: Wednesday 24 February 21 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have an update on George Oxby Smith and his wives...

George Oxby Smith was born in a tent, Staunton-on-the-Wolds, Notts on the 13 March 1868.  On his birth cert his father is given as John Smith a Labourer and his mother as Mary Smith, Previously Smith.

He was Baptised 18 Mar 1868 Staunton-on-the-Wolds, Notts.  His father is given as John Smith, mother Maria - Gipsies.

During the 1891 census he is encamped in Checkley, Cheadle, Staffs aged 24 with Ellen Smith (Clayton) 21, Arthur Smith 24, Mary Ann Smith 24 (our direct ancestor and sister of George Oxby Smith) and her child Francis Smith aged 1.

George Oxby Smith died on 5 Feb 1947 at 4 Keswick Street Sneinton, Nottingham.  His death was registered by E Doyle, daughter of 4 Keswick Street.  She is Ellen Hetty Smith bn 1 Jul 1920, her mother being Agnes White. Ellen Hetty is now the partner of an Andrew Doyle 1915-1980.
George was buried 11 Feb 1947 Wilford Hill Cem, Nottingham in the same grave as Agnes and their son Albert Henry Smith 1925-1955 (he died in Sidcup, Kent).

Ellen Clayton died on 12 Apr 1912 - I think she died having her last child Sidney Smith, on the 1939 Register Sidney Smith says his date of birth is 21 Apr 1912 - I think he has transposed the numbers.  Ellen Clayton was buried on the 15 Apr 1912 in the General Cemetery, Nottingham.

George then marries Agnes White on 27 Jul 1912.  On the 1939 register Agnes give her DOB as 5 Nov 1893 - Her death certificate says she was born 29 Nov 1892 in Dundee, Scotland.  Agnes died on 5 Nov 1971 in Homewell Walk, Nottingham.  Her death was registered by E Elliott, daughter - this is the same Ellen Hetty Smith that registered George's death.  She is now the partner of Walter/William? Elliott 1920-1962 son of Everett Elliott 1898-1933 and Betsy Elizabeth Woodward 1901-1967.

After George's death Agnes married Arthur Orpe a Night Watch Man 1894-1966 in 1949.
Agnes was buried on the 11 Nov 1971 with George and their son.  No other people are in this grave.

Ellen Clayton
I'm wondering if her parents were
Frederick Clayton bn 1829 Wilshaw, Sutton-in-Ashfield
and
Louisa Clayton bn 1828 Berkswell, Warwickshire died 1909 Staffs.

Newspaper Reports in summary:

Newspaper Article
16 Mar 1909 • Offence in Pullman Street, Nottingham
George Smith a Hawker of Sneinton in trouble for stealing a washing line clothes prop in Pullman Street, he promised to behave himself and was let go.

Newspaper Article
28 Jan 1921 • Crown and Anchor, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England
John Spencer 26, Hawker of 75 Red Lion St and George Jones alias Spencer 21 Hawker of 95 Red Lion St chgd with wilfully wounding George with intent to harm by shooting his son Tom Smith. George was shot in the cheek-both prisoners were wanted by warrant.

Newspaper Article
27 Feb 1926 • Living in a van, Hawthorne Street, Nottingham
Got into a fight - he and his sons refused to leave The Travellers Rest - George was fined and Frank and Thomas got prison for assaulting a PC.

Newspaper Article
19 Jan 1929 • Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England
George was shot in the chin by John Spencer who also tried to shoot George's son Tom Smith.
Sent to prison for beating his wife.

2 Aug 1929 • Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England
She claimed he had beater and pushed her out of a horse and cart, GS and a son said she fell. Stated that George had 15 children aged 40-17 - 4 with Agnes all under 16. she had left him on 6 previous occasions.  George had 81 previous convictions - none of his children showed any sympathy towards Agnes. She was said to be black and blue with bruises. George burst into tears when sentenced.

Newspaper Article
27 Jan 1937 • of Walker Street, Nottingham, Nottingham,shire, England
George was Summonds for allowing William Chalk of Walker Street to use his car without insurance - George was fined £3.00.

Newspaper Article
16 Mar 1937 • of - 52 Walker Street, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England
George was taken drunk to Leanside Police Station. He was found to have £151.18s in his pocket (that is equivalent to £7,600 in todays money) - George left with a caution.
Newspaper Article
24 May 1937 • of 52 Walker Street, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England
George Smith of 52 Walker Street charged with allowing Sidney Smith, his son to drive George's car unsupervised (while he was a learner with no license).

I'm still trying to work out all of Georges Children:  Any suggestions or help would be great...  I'm also working on his 2 brother who also lived in Nottingham.  I think they have both been mentioned by me before, but am focussing on the now as well.  They are:

Thomas Albert Smith 1863-1928

William Smith 1867-1947

Bye for now
Kazi

Smith, Plumb, Booth, Slater, Purdy, Clayton, Loveridge
Gray, Parker, Elliott, Wright, Towle, Wesseldine, Margot's, Bacon, Blankley, Goodwin, Stafford.

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Update on George Oxby Smith 1868-1947
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 October 22 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
Just curious did you come across any Smiths from Beaston Nottingham in your searches by any chance? My Girlfriends about to start her Family Tree starting with her Grandads Side Wally (Walter)Smith
Many thanks 

Offline kaziah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 October 22 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
That area doesn’t ring any bells, but our Smiths were very wide spread…. If you come across and names/placed and need any help or info just contact me and ask…. Always here.
Kaziah
Gray, Parker, Elliott, Wright, Towle, Wesseldine, Margot's, Bacon, Blankley, Goodwin, Stafford.

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 October 22 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kaziah👌
Me Girlfriends just literally started so any more places or names i find ill let you know much appreciated
Dunc 

Offline Izzyp03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 February 23 01:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I’ve very recently started looking into my family tree and George Oxby smith is my great great great grandfather, I was wondering if anyone knows how many/ who his children are other than Sidney Smith who is my great great grandfather. Thanks! 

Offline kaziah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 February 23 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Izzy,
I also have information on Sydney Smith and a bit on his mother but she is still an enigma still…
Not sure if you can reply to me via this platform. Not sure if you have to do so many posts or something like that.
You can try on messenger through fb my profile under the name Kazi KazKaz.
Hope that helps
Kaziah x

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 February 23 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Izzyp03, Post one more time, just to say anything, and then you can send and receive Personal Messages on RootsChat.