Author Topic: My computer clock has stopped  (Read 639 times)

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My computer clock has stopped
« on: Wednesday 24 February 21 21:19 GMT (UK) »
My computer clock for Windows 10, down at the right corner, has stopped working.     Also, when I click the flag down at the left corner to turn off the computer nothing happens.     I have tried refreshing Firefox browser, and tried a Clean-up, and checked for viruses but getting nowhere.    The odd thing is that all my short cut icons work, and I can get into sites.     Can anyone help?

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: My computer clock has stopped
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 21:35 GMT (UK) »
If in doubt I just turn off the computer manually by pushing a button, or however your PC works.  Leave a few minutes and turn on again.  If that doesn't work I have no other suggestions.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 21:58 GMT (UK) »
   LizzieW,
                  Thanks for your help.     I tried pressing the third key from the left on my computer, which is the flag and everything suddenly sorted itself out.      You are a genius.

Thanks,
                                                                             Brian

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 22:40 GMT (UK) »
If you find the clock being out of sync next 24hrs, new bios battery works wonders.
Battery starts going low voltage @5yrs after purchase.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 22:49 GMT (UK) »
   LizzieW,
                  Thanks for your help.     I tried pressing the third key from the left on my computer, which is the flag and everything suddenly sorted itself out.      You are a genius.

Thanks,
                                                                             Brian

Never been called that before!  It's just that I don't like inanimate objects getting the better of me, so if they don't behave I just switch them off.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 February 21 11:56 GMT (UK) »
If you find the clock being out of sync next 24hrs, new bios battery works wonders.
Battery starts going low voltage @5yrs after purchase.
 Brian

BIOS batteries have lifetimes much longer than you expect - about the same as the shelf life, because they need to produce a ridiculously small amount of power. I recently replaced a desktop one from 2010 - a standard 2032 cell, which I buy for other things around the house.
Laptop ones last even longer, but are more difficult, usually needing a couple of small screwdrivers to access them. They often have unusual shapes but are usually available online at little cost. Order by looking up the model number before you bother dismantling.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 February 21 11:35 GMT (UK) »
       Thanks for that, Andrew.     However, my laptop is only about a year and a half old.      Just puzzled why the clock stopped, although it is okay now.     I have been using computers since about 2008 and never had this particular problem before.      ... I did wonder if I had touched something on the keyboard by accident and perhaps that caused it but I will probably never know exactly what it caused it.     Doesn't matter now anyway.