Author Topic: Graves of Margaret Buchanan and Alexander Bate  (Read 449 times)

Offline Susanne Buchanan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Graves of Margaret Buchanan and Alexander Bate
« on: Thursday 25 February 21 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Could someone please help me find the graves of Margaret Buchanan 1796- 12/11/1849. Born in Bonhill and parents were James and Isabell Buchanan, and of Greenside Edinburgh 1841 census . Married Alexander Bate also from Greenside on 5/3/1844 at Haddington Edinburgh and lived at Bankshead Cottage Tranent where Alexander died in 1846.
Margaret then moved to 1 Tower Street Portobello where she died on 12/11/1849.
Her daughter Margaret married Sir David Davidson of Haddington so a possibiity she/they are buried there.
I would be grateful for any information. Thankyou. Susanne Buchanan

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Graves of Margaret Buchanan and Alexander Bate
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 February 21 08:21 GMT (UK) »
I can only presume that Simon Critchley - this familytree owner - is related ??  if so - contact him - he lives in Lancashire - can't put address for obvious reasons - if you can't get his address up as you are not a member I can PM it to you - but you can register for free and get it that way

https://gw.geneanet.org/scritchlald?n=bate&oc=&p=alexander
good luck - Simon MAY know where Alexander is buried if you are lucky
ADDED
when you open that link - go to Margaret Buchanan in green - click - looks like Simon is related through the Buchanan side as he has a lot of info on that

https://gw.geneanet.org/scritchlald?lang=en&iz=0&p=margaret&n=buchanan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 February 21 08:27 GMT (UK) »
In 1841 Simon has Margaret Buchanan living in 18 Leopold Place ,Edingburgh
1836 living at Ralston House , Paisley
did Margaret come from a money family ??
in 1865 Ralston House became Ralston Mansions - quote - the Lodge Houses were built in 1865 and in WW1 wounded soldiers were billited there .
so it sounds like Ralston House was demolished and fancy houses buit there ? I wonder if they still exist ?? :)
ADDED
Well I got that wrong - Ralston Mansions were built in 1865 on THE GROUNDS of Ralston House - Ralston House itself was demolished in 1934

Ralston House is depicted on the OS 2nd Edition map (Renfrewshire, sheet XII, 1913). It was demolished in 1934. Information from RCAHMS (LKFJ)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Susanne Buchanan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 February 21 04:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you garstonite. Margaret was from Bonhill where she worked in a mill and met Charles Todd there and had 3 children Margaret Mary and David. Hence her being at Ralston House where Charles once resided and he was wealthy as a mill owner of Springfield fame.
Simon Critchley has corresponded with me and has no knowledge of the graves either.
Charles provided the home for Margaret and David in Edinburgh and after Charles died in 1840 met and married Alexander Bate.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 February 21 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susanne

Do you have details of Sir David Davidson and wife Margaret's grave? See the inscription here http://scottishwargraves.phpbbweb.com/scottishwargraves-ftopic1222-60.html from St Mary's Church, Haddington.

Added: See you have seen and contributed to this post here on the family previously www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=760630.0 Frustrating that you haven't been able to find anything more on Margaret Buchanan so far.

How have you been able to confirm Margaret's mother's name as being Isabel? At least you have her father's name confirmed as James from her parish marriage entry to Alexander Bate in Tranent, East Lothian.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Susanne Buchanan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 February 21 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Monica

Many thanks for the Davidson graves photos. I have the main grave photo. A genealogist friend has researched Margaret and the Todds and we have a book nearly ready to go to print, so this is a last ditch effort to find Margaret and Alexander's graves. Simon Critchley has been a wonderful source of information too for which we are very grateful.

Barbara my friend found the details on James and Isabella on a birth certificate and Sir David Davidson visited Isabella at Bonhill when she was dying as Margaret had predeceased her mother. A very kind gesture.

Many thanks again Monica
Susanne

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 February 21 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Best of luck to you and Barbara with the book  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Susanne Buchanan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 February 21 04:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Monica.

If we ever get on top of Covid I will be walking the graveyards of Tranent, Portobello, and Haddington where Margaret and Alexander were married at St Andrews in 1845.

Keep safe Monica. We are in another weeks lockdown with a few community spreads in Auckland. But we are so lucky here compared to overseas.

Best wishes
Susanne