Author Topic: Occupation - attorney/solicitor in 19th century Limerick, Ireland  (Read 582 times)

Online Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Occupation - attorney/solicitor in 19th century Limerick, Ireland
« on: Thursday 25 February 21 07:12 GMT (UK) »
I've just discovered that one of my ancestors, Jeffrey Keating, was listed as a solicitor on his son's marriage certificate in 1869 and as an attorney on his own death certificate in 1877 and wondered what sort of training he would have had for this occupation. Do records exist?

Jan
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Occupation - attorney/solicitor in 19th century Limerick, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 February 21 09:12 GMT (UK) »
I've just discovered that one of my ancestors, Jeffrey Keating, was listed as a solicitor on his son's marriage certificate in 1869 and as an attorney on his own death certificate in 1877 and wondered what sort of training he would have had for this occupation. Do records exist?

Jan

Most probably via an apprenticeship.
Might be a good idea to take a look at this book: "Law Society of Ireland – 1852-2002: Portrait of a Profession’, by Dr Eamonn G Hall and Daíre Hogan"
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 February 21 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the recommendation - sounds interesting.
England:
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 February 21 10:54 GMT (UK) »
I've just discovered that one of my ancestors, Jeffrey Keating, was listed as a solicitor on his son's marriage certificate in 1869 and as an attorney on his own death certificate in 1877......

This is the only Jeffrey Keating death in 1877 in Croom S.R.D. and he was a bachelor. So how does his son marry in 1869?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1877/020526/7203108.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 February 21 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Is he this one?
"KEATING JEFFERY, 4th s. of Jeffery, Garrane, Co. Limerick, farmer; over 16; ed,
Limerick; afft. father. M 1836."
from King’s Inns Admission Papers 1607–1867, see https://www.irishmanuscripts.ie/digital/Kings%20Inns%20Admission%20Papers%201607-1867/Kings%20Inns%20Admission%20Papers%201607-1867.pdf

Online Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 February 21 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Kiltaglassan, Jeffrey had an illegitimate son, Jeremiah, with Margaret Dwyer :-)

John, Wow, many thanks for the reference. That's him - and it tells me I have two more brothers to find. I found the actual entry - do you know what  "ed, Limerick; afft. father. M 1836" means?

England:

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 February 21 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Educated at Limerick, affidavit provided by his father, started in Michaelmas term 1836. He would have been aged 16 or over.

Online Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 February 21 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, he was born in 1814, so aged 22 when he started. 1836 just happens to be the year his illegitimate son was born :-)
England:

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 February 21 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Of course solicitors and attorneys were not quite the same thing!
I think the latter were abolished as a separate category in Ireland ca 1877.

Also, back then solicitors had to have some training or link to the King's Inns - the Inn of Court where barristers were (and still are) trained and accredited. Hence the Kings Inn record that has turned up. That was a requirement the Law Society of Ireland agitated to have removed for many years in the mid 19th century.
Take a look at the Wiki article for the Law Society of Ireland, and elsewhere.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area