Author Topic: MALTA - translation please  (Read 365 times)

Offline seasider53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
MALTA - translation please
« on: Thursday 25 February 21 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Evening.  I have a copy of a Malteese marriage certificate that shows Fathers occupation as:
PRIMO CONNESTABILE. I have attached a 'snip' from the certificate

Can anyone translate and let me know what this role was.

Thank you
Leach/Prigg - Cambridge
Draper/Munford - Norfolk
Nicholas/Donlan/Thurston/Leach - India
Harrison/Cunningham - Durham
Caine/Harrison - Ireland

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MALTA - translation please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 February 21 21:31 GMT (UK) »
I would guess at First Constable?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline seasider53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 February 21 21:36 GMT (UK) »
I would guess at First Constable?
That was my first thought but what is a 'first constable'? 
Leach/Prigg - Cambridge
Draper/Munford - Norfolk
Nicholas/Donlan/Thurston/Leach - India
Harrison/Cunningham - Durham
Caine/Harrison - Ireland

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 February 21 22:17 GMT (UK) »
As well as being a Police Officer, constable can also mean:
a High Constable
a Parish Constable

Connétables in Jersey and Guernsey are the elected heads of the parishes. They are often called 'constables' in English.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conn%C3%A9table_(Jersey_and_Guernsey)

Maybe something similar in Malta?

Here (Isle of Man) we have Captains of the Parish - a similar, but not identical, role.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 February 21 07:07 GMT (UK) »
I have a friend who lives in Malta - he married a Maltese girl - I will message him on Facebook and find out xx
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 February 21 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Here is the Maltese wifes reply
Senior Dignitary”person in charge"
.she also wrote this - don't laugh - I think she was trying to help
The connestable was originally, during the Roman Empire and in some Roman-barbarian kingdoms, the one who ruled over the rulers of the sovereign. Later, in many medieval European and modern age monarchies, the title of connestable or highly connestable was attributed to a senior dignitary with military functions, who was generally entrusted with the command of the cavalry or - as in France and the Kingdom of Naples and Sicily - of the whole army. He could also have the task of settling disputes over chivalrous issues, presiding over a special court and exercising police powers. One or more marshals could be assisted in the exercise of his duties. In the Byzantine Empire the Great Constantable commanded a cavalry body formed by "Latin" mercenaries. The Constantable of France was established by Philip I in 1060 and abolished by Louis XIII in 1627, which replaced him in the protocollary rank of the Decan of the Marescialli; in 1804 Napoleon I created the honorary posts of Gran Connestabile and Deputy Constantable of the Empire by attributing the first to his brother Luigi Bonaparte.
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 February 21 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Pure magic ... that's the type of answer I get from my 8 year old grandson whenever I quiz him about a particular dinosaur ... a walking talking wikipedia boy.  Next time I see him I'm going to test him with that question; what's a Primo Connestabile ?
I bet there was a dinosaur called that, cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.