Author Topic: What's the name of this place in Diddlebury?  (Read 873 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What's the name of this place in Diddlebury?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 February 21 15:25 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the William I quoted as father in the baptisms is actually the son of of William and Susannah as he is showing as born Chelmarsh age 68 in the 1861 census and 78 in the 1871 census.

Also it is worth noting that Edwin Hanson, the son of William and Sarah born 1826 is recorded in the 1851 census as a visitor with a Draper family in Chelmarsh. Coincidence? The head of the household is George Draper age 72 and born Chelmarsh. There is a baptism in Chelmarsh September 25 1778 for a George Draper with parents Richard and Elizabeth - perhaps a younger brother of Susannah?

Re the baptisms quoted in my previous post I simply searched for the surname Hanson in Diddlebury with parents William and Sarah. This produces 19 results and includes Abdon results.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What's the name of this place in Diddlebury?
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 February 21 10:21 GMT (UK) »
William, thanks very much for your help. Having discovered that Susanna Draper married a William Hanson (although evidence is still needed) I need to research that branch of the family more fully. I have no doubt that the Hanson mentioned on the 1851 census in the household of George Draper is related, and that that relationship is probably as you infer, but for my own peace of mind, I will need to go through the records carefully to satisfy myself that we do have the family re-constructed properly. Festina lente I believe is the right approach  :) :)
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.