Author Topic: Birth/baptism record of son of army couple serving in Ireland  (Read 685 times)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth/baptism record of son of army couple serving in Ireland
« on: Friday 26 February 21 05:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Thanks for all your help in the past. I have a new query. My 3 x great grandfather John Archibald was born in Dublin about 1800, according to the Scottish Census records. His father, Robert Archibald, was serving in the army there, and his mother, Jacobina (Beany) Dewar accompanied him. Some time after the birth, the family returned to Scotland.

I have a temporary subscription to RootsIreland and can find no mention of him in there or through Irish Genealogy. I realise this is early but I did find some 1802 baptisms in Dublin through Irish Genealogy, and RootsIreland has baptisms even earlier. But not my ancestor.

It occurred to me that perhaps as an army baby he would not be included in the Irish baptisms, and he would instead be listed in some sort of military records. Does anyone know if this is the case, and if so, how these could be accessed?

I am researching from Australia.

Thanks again for all your help.

Geoff Turner

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth/baptism record of son of army couple serving in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 February 21 06:06 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast has records eg

Gro Regimental Birth Indices (1761 To 1924)

But, I don’t see John Archibald

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 February 21 07:56 GMT (UK) »
What religion were the Archibalds?

If you check the source material, both RootsIreland and IrishGenealogy only cover Catholic and CofI records for Co. Dublin, at least as far as I can see.

So, if your Archibald was a dissenter, as might be true of a Scotchman, then a baptism won't turn up. Which is not to say that dissenter records don't exist, just not online.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 February 21 09:29 GMT (UK) »
The army baptisms were usually in the church local to whatever barracks they were stationed in. The father's regiment was usually indicated.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 February 21 10:07 GMT (UK) »
My info on his father’s reason for being in Dublin is a bit sketchy. I have seen it as “being in the army” and “being in the Scottish militia”, with no sources to check against.

As for religion, I know that some Archibalds in Australia married in the Anglican and Catholic Churches. John himself married at St Cuthbert’s in Edinburgh in 1835 which I think was a Catholic Church.

But I don’t know about the religion of the family further back.

Geoff

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 February 21 10:17 GMT (UK) »
My info on his father’s reason for being in Dublin is a bit sketchy. I have seen it as “being in the army” and “being in the Scottish militia”, with no sources to check against

Robert Archibald was in the Midlothian Cavalry per his marriage record

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/mediaui-viewer/collection/1030/tree/21229693/person/28024215585/media/672d4036-1068-447b-9250-338a50176ee1

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 February 21 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thanks, that would explain him being in Dublin.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 February 21 11:31 GMT (UK) »
There’s more than 1 St Cuthbert’s in Edinburgh. One is Episcopalian (ie Anglican). Another is Church of Scotland (Presbyterian). Plus there is St Cuthbert’s & Our Lady’s which is Catholic. Presbyterian is the most common denomination in Scotland, especially in Edinburgh and the central belt.
Elwyn

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 February 21 11:59 GMT (UK) »
The actual marriage record

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/mediaui-viewer/collection/1030/tree/21229693/person/28024215585/media/672d4036-1068-447b-9250-338a50176ee1

seems to say he is from the Lady Ystern (Western?) Parish and she is from the St Andrew's Church parish. I don't know if that gives us any clues.

Geoff