Author Topic: Confusing DNA matches  (Read 649 times)

Offline jimnix

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Confusing DNA matches
« on: Saturday 27 February 21 14:24 GMT (UK) »
I have a DNA match with 45cM shared. We also share eleven other matches. Three of them have trees which Iíve been able to view and all three are descend from the same couple although I canít work out how this couple fit into my tree yet.

At a guess, how far back are we talking for a match with 45cM? The other two matches with trees share 34cM and 44cM.  ???

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Confusing DNA matches
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 February 21 14:29 GMT (UK) »

Offline Heb66

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 February 21 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have a 45cms match , this shared proven relationship is his great-grandmother and my great-grandfather were siblings, if this is any help for a marker.
Good luck......
Helen
Payne, Woodchester Glos / Kings Norton Worcs.
Luker, Glos.
Bingham; Stroud, Glos.
Gore: Glos/ Plymouth.
Rodway: Woodchester, Glos. Wanted Henry Rodway born 1849. Missing since 1881.
Hyam: Glos.
Morgan: Nettleton Wilts / Stroud Glos.
Elliott : Malmesbury Wilts.
 Searching for Thomas Elliott, Occ  groom / butler born 1830. Father Alexander occ: carpenter,place births unknown.
Please..descendants of Howard Sidney Davies, Cinderford or Stanley Howard Davies, Croydon, Surrey.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 February 21 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Hmm...conflicting evidence it seems  :-\

I have access to my brother's DNA account on 23andme.

He has a match of 44cM - shared DNA is 0.59% over 4 segments

The match is a 3rd cousin i.e. sharing 2 x g g/parents

I should add, our matches are based on relatives from a small Hebridean Island where many relatives married relatives (known or otherwise) i.e. the amount of DNA passed down could be somewhat different to strangers marrying strangers with no known ancestral connections?

Here's an example of one of my posts with DNA matches with a father 53cM & his son at 51cM which goes to show we can't really depend on what others find as it seems to deal with previous generations at times  :-\

I've sent messages to father & son with no reply from either, yet I'm more than sure I could take up from their grandparents to find where we connect which is very frustrating.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=841083.0

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jimnix

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have a 45cms match , this shared proven relationship is his great-grandmother and my great-grandfather were siblings, if this is any help for a marker.
Good luck......
Helen

Thatís the most confusing part because it suggests a Ďrecentí connection. All of my great grandparents are accounted for, so to speak. I have a few illegitimate births a few generations back but not in this particular area.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 22:07 GMT (UK) »
It is very variable - the DNA painter shows the relative likelihood of the relationships for a quantity of shared DNA.

I have a 17cm match for a known relative, and our shared link is my great grandparents - he is one generation further away. 

With the DNA painter this relationship is relatively rare, but still possible.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline jimnix

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 March 21 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Iíve managed to work out that the most commonly recurring surname among this cluster of matches is ďBettsĒ. I mentioned that three of these matches are descended from the same man and woman. The womanís mother was a
Betts.

Betts isnít a surname Iíve come across in my tree and the area (Oldbury, West Bromwich, Dudley etc.) isnít one which features heavily in my family tree either. Iím even more confused than when I started.  ???

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 March 21 14:38 GMT (UK) »
I was given a link to a talk on YouTube about DNA links and it was said that it's not only the number of Cms that are important, but which strand of DNA you share.  That's easy to see on 23andMe but I don't think I've found it on Ancestry.  In the hunt for my g.grandfather I've got a few matches all leading to the same ancestor and we all share DNA on the same strand.  Still not found out where my g.grandfather fits in though.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 March 21 15:38 GMT (UK) »

Itís easier to see on My Heritage, because of the chromosome browser on that Site.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.