Author Topic: Charles Gordon and Elizabeth STEPHEN  (Read 592 times)

Offline jmg1893

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Gordon and Elizabeth STEPHEN
« on: Sunday 28 February 21 16:01 GMT (UK) »
My 3 x Great Grand father Charles GORDON was born on 9 July 1795 in Aberdeenshire, the son of Elizabeth STEPHEN and Charles GORDON.

I cannot find any record of the marriage between Elizabeth and Charles.

From ancestry I can see that Elizabeth Stephen was born on 17 December 1777 in Tyrie, Aberdeenshire, to Barbara Mitchell and William Stephen.

Elizabeth Stephen married Alexander Ogston in Tyrie, Aberdeenshire, on 2 April 1797 when she was 19 years old.

My 3 x Great Grand father Charles GORDON would have been 2 years old at the time. He later married Isabella CADGER on 28 May 1829 in Strichen, Aberdeenshire.

I cannot find any trace of my 4 x Great Grand father Charles GORDON other than the baptism record for his son that he had with Elizabeth STEPHEN. Any assistance with tracing either his birth or death would be appreciated. When driving around known family areas such as Tyrie and Strichen a few years ago I discovered that some church records were destroyed in a fire and so it may be that any trace of him has gone.
Gordon, McCulloch

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Gordon and Elizabeth STEPHEN
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 February 21 16:15 GMT (UK) »
An old post here on RC. Thought just to add in case it adds any more details for you. Is this is the same Isabella Cadger, did your Charles die young?:

And I think  Isabella CADGER was married before she married OGSTON:
Isabella CADGER & Charles GORDON married 28 May 1829, Strichen.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTJG-C61

It looks to me  like she went to the GORDON marriage, with her daughter Isabella (SCOTT) in tow and then had James GORDON  (age 12 in 1841) within the marriage.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jmg1893

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 February 21 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Yes Charles passed away in 1835 at the age of 40. They had been married 6 years.
Gordon, McCulloch

Offline Birdiemoore60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 December 23 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Your Charles Gordon was married to my 4x great grandmother. They had a son together and Charles is also a stepfather to Isabellas daughter Isabella Scott.