Author Topic: Looking for mother of George Ward  (Read 796 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for mother of George Ward
« on: Sunday 28 February 21 16:17 GMT (UK) »
George Ward of Grinton (Bachelor) married Isabella Ward otp (spinster) by Banns on 15 October 1821 at Kirby Ravensworth. The record says with consent of parents, so it might mean George was  under 21. However the vicar seems to have put with consent of parents for nearly all the marriages around then.
The witnesses were Mary Ward and james Cooper
The marriage above in the register is between William Ward bach and Mary Dowdy sp botp and took place on  10 Sep 1821. One witness was Isabella Ward, the other was William Dowdy. This marriage does not say with consent of parents. The way Mary is written looks the same as Mary in Mary  Ward, so I think the witness for George and Isabella's marriage is Mary Ward nee Dowdy.

I have found baptisms for Isabella and her brother William in Kirby Ravensworth in 1799 and 1797 respectively children of William and Isabella. Both would be of full age in 1821.

I think they are in Eccles, Lancs - Salford reg district in 1841
Piece: 543, Book: 2, Folio:   5, Page Number: 2

George may have died age 44 in 1846, putting his year of birth abt 1802, which would fit with him being under 21 at marriage.
I have found a baptism of a George in Grinton in 1801, father also William, but no mother mentioned, can anyone find his mother please ?

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline StevieB62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for mother of George Ward
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 December 21 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

In Ancestry there are over 100 family trees showing George Wards mother as Ann Fryar. However I have not found any evidence of how they found this infomation

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for mother of George Ward
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 December 21 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Burial at Grinton
Anne Ward widow  of William W buried 26.10.1834 age 75 years of Grinton.
William buried 2.8.1812

Only marriage I can see is to a Anne Coats 10.1.1782 at Bowes  but that is early for their earliest child in1789.
possible children at Downholme s of William and Anna butcher and innkeeper Neddy 26.9.1784,Thomas 25.3.1787 age 20 weeks innkeeper pauper

So she could be Miss Coats
Ann Coates at Bowes bapt 23 Dec 1759 d of Margaret Coates.

Ciderdrinker