Author Topic: Samuel Charles 1795ish Swansea.  (Read 437 times)

Offline Rev MJC1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Charles 1795ish Swansea.
« on: Sunday 28 February 21 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Please can you help me locate Samuels parents, sibling etc? Samuel living in Shropshire but on the 1851/61 census gave his birthplace as Swansea, South Wales. I have searched for some year but perhaps a sharper mind, a fresh approach might provide me with some insight. Thank you very much. Mike

Online crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Charles 1795ish Swansea.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 February 21 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Following on from the 1851 census the 1841 census has this family in Wellington Shropshire and all born in Shropshire.
HO107 Piece 907 Folio 29 Book 5 Page 4
Samuel Charles   45 Miner
Elizth Charles   45
Stephen Charles   20 Miner
Emma Charles   15
Enoch Charles   11 Miner
Ann Charles   7
Isaac Charles   5
Harriet Charles   3

Have you considered that Charles may have knocked a few years off his age if he was older than his wife which would bring this baptism in to contention
Samuel Charles
Birth Date - 8 Aug
Baptism Date - 12 Aug 1787
Baptism Place - Shropshire, England
Father - Thomas Charles
Mother - Anne Charles

That leaves the mystery of why he gives his place of birth as Swansea in 1851. I don't see him in 1861 if his wife was Elizabeth nee Price who is a widow in 1861, I have a death for Samuel in 1856 age 61

There is a Charles family in Swansea  in 1841 but from memory the head of household is David Charles, wife Elizabeth all born Wales. So no link to Shropshire

Do I have the right family for your Samuel Charles??

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 February 21 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Looking on Ancestry, there are many trees with your ancestor in them and they all list Samuel's parents as Thomas & Anne Charles (like crisane said above).

In 1841, Samuel is listed as born in Shropshire. I can't explain why Swansea was listed in 1851 but there were certainly errors in census records, unfortunately  >:(. It is quite a big leap but not unheard of.

If he is this Samuel Charles b. 1797 in Shropshire then his parents are Thomas Charles & Ann Garbet who married on 6 August 1786: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NKHP-7MS

Here is Thomas Charles in the 1841 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQRV-4SQ. Interestingly, he lives up the road from your Samuel!

Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 February 21 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!

This is the neighbouring family in 1851
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SG6X-NCD

and Charlotte Leech was formerly Charles
marriage 22 July 1822 in Wellington for Samuel Leech & Charlotte Charles, witnesses Mary Leech & John Cartwright

Thomas Charles was living with Henry Charles in 1841. Henry married in Wellington 8 July 1827 to Mary Cadwallader, witnesses Thomas Davies & John Roden.

Possible baptism 19 April 1804 in Cleehill Methodist Church, Caynham, Shropshire for Henry, son of Thos & Ann Charles of Cleobury Mortimer.

Burials in Wellington
27 Jan 1839 Ann Charles 77 of Cow Wood
21 mar 1843 Thomas Charles 82 of Cow Wood
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Rev MJC1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 March 21 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your valuable input, it really is appreciated. My brick wall has always been Swansea, South Wales. I have two online documents that clearly state that Samuel was born in Swant*** and South Wales Swansea. The enumerator would have written down what Samuel said to him. The entry is very clear to read. There are plenty of Charles families in the area and I have explored them but the links are very, very tenuous.
I wonder did Samuel travel from Swansea as a sponsored worker? I have much information about the area. I have his marriage to Miss Price but the witnesses are locals. Was Samuel hiding his birth place? I have no reason to see why he would, he seems a hard working male. It is a puzzle that has been bugging me for about 20 plus years. Thank you all again so much. Mike