Author Topic: 1914 Banns  (Read 535 times)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1914 Banns
« on: Sunday 28 February 21 22:06 GMT (UK) »
   Looking for a marriage, which took place in 1915, I checked the banns, which were read in 1914. This was in a small village in May/June 1914, and the entry read "stoker in Royal Navy, bachelor of this parish and on the high seas", which I thought was rather nice. Presumably history intervened, as the marriage took place a year later by licence.
    The man in the next entry was also "on the high seas", and for the remainder of the war, the rector noted some details of each man's service if he was in the forces.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1914 Banns
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 March 21 08:40 GMT (UK) »
It's great when you get those extra bits of information in parish registers.  I certainly benefitted from that when I found a note at the side of a baptism which said emigrated to NZ. 

That note enabled me to crack the wall that I had encountered trying to find the father of the child.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 March 21 10:00 GMT (UK) »
The note in the burial register "an old man, formerly a soldier in Queen Anne's wars with the French" made me realise John was a lot older than I had thought (dying at 90+ years of age rather than the more usual 60ish) so I was eventually able to find a baptism for him.
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 March 21 15:02 GMT (UK) »
I found my 4 x Great Grandparents marriage entry for 20th August 1796 in St. Monans Fife Scotland.

It reads "David Easson Junior and Agnes Wilson both in this Parish were Contracted and married 20th August 1796. Because he was going immediately to sea and therefore were three times proclaimed before the congregation and married after Sermon being upon Saturday before the Sacrament"

He was a fisherman and it helped to confirm that his father was also named David.

These little gems are priceless.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 March 21 22:37 GMT (UK) »
The marriage record for my great Grandparents included  the phrase "Married in the home of the bride with a registrar in attendance". It was in Harbour Grace, Nfld. I have never seen one like that before. How lovely.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU