Author Topic: 18th Century Sacred Music Composer, Israel Holdroyd  (Read 529 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
18th Century Sacred Music Composer, Israel Holdroyd
« on: Monday 01 March 21 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I'd really appreciate help with tracing my 7x great grandfather Israel Holdroyd.

His daughter Jane Holdroyd is my 6x great grandmother, and she was born in 1725 in Harewood, Yorkshire. Her father, Israel, is named on her baptism record.
From this, it appears her mother may be Mary Byles or Ryles, as there is a marriage between an Israel Holdroyd and a Mary Byles/Ryles at Bradford Cathedral on 9th June 1724 (Israel is said to be of Keighley, and Mary is said to be of Harewood). I haven't found any siblings yet.

I found a page about an Israel Holdroyd being a sacred music composer, I'll include the link below:
https://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Israel_Holdroyd
Am I right in presuming this is my Israel? I don't know if it is an especially reliable source so I would be very grateful if anyone has any more information on Israel's music and his life. I've tried simply searching for 'Israel Holdroyd music composer' but I haven't had much luck. This Israel (linked above) had a publication in 1722, called 'The Spiritual Man's Companion'.

I'd also be very grateful if anyone knows any general information about music composers in the 1700's. I've never come across this occupation before in my family, so I'd love to know how someone that long ago could become a music composer. Was he likely from a well-to-do family, or a family that could at least afford his music education?

On that note, I'd love help in tracing his family.
There's two baptisms I have found, that I'll list below. Both are near Halifax, Yorkshire. I don't know which is likely to be my Israel.
1) Israel Holdroyd, baptised 26/06/1697, at Ripponden with Rishworth, St Bartholomew, Yorkshire, son of Wilfred Holdroyd.   
2) Israel Holdroyd, bap 25/12/1695, at Luddenden, Yorkshire, son of Joseph Holdroyd.

I haven't found Israel's death yet either. For the name 'Israel Holdroyd', there's many records on Ancestry and FamilySearch. These include Land Tax Records in 1783 and 1792 (too late for my Israel unless he reached a remarkable age) at Skircoat Green in Halifax. Could this be a relation?

There's also baptism and burial records for children of an Israel Holdroyd in Halifax in the 1750's and 1760's, whether or not this is my Israel is unclear. It appears he could've also had more than one marriage:

- Sally Holdroyd, baptised 15 Jul 1759 at Halifax, St John the Baptist, daughter of Israel Holdroyd.
- Betty Holdroyd, buried 16 Sep 1764 at Halifax, St John the Baptist, daughter of Israel Holdroyd.
- Marriage of Israel Holdroyd and Ann Lum, Jul 1750, Halifax, St John the Baptist.
- Marriage of Israel Holdroyd and Hannah Riley, 9 Feb 1754, Halifax, St John the Baptist.

Thank you for any help or advice you can offer,
Holly
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 18th Century Sacred Music Composer, Israel Holdroyd
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 March 21 20:29 GMT (UK) »
I did have a look in google books, looks like he might have written the music around 1720, there was a 3rd edition 1733. There is a mention of his surname and variations...Holdrad/Holdrayd; just taken these few comments from the snippet view, hoping it might help you.
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 March 21 00:58 GMT (UK) »
A quick google of 18th century English composers suggests that most were organists as well as composers. Whilst it's hard to know what their family circumstances were, at least one (Thomas BUSBY) was the son of a coach painter, while another (John HOLT) was a shoemaker.

Jane's baptism record doesn't indicate a profession for her father, have you found any siblings, either baptised or buried where the parish record may record additonal info? - Sorry, rereading your post I see you haven't found any siblings. The records for the children of the Israel HOLDROYDs you found - do they incicate any specific locations or professions?

As there are 2 Israel HOLDROYDs being baptised around the same time in the area, it's very hard to know which one became the composer, and if there are 2 marriage records do either indicate whether he was widowed?. I realise you haven't found a burial, a will would certainly be helpful!

I see on a public tree on Ancestry Jane HOLDROYD married Ralph BOWERING - is this your Jane? I'm wondering how they arrived at her being born in Harewood when she married in Lincoln (and Israel HOLDROYD, the composer, presumably stayed in West Yorkshire, according to google). Not impossible, but 80 miles or so seems unlikely without other evidence. :-\

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 March 21 01:42 GMT (UK) »

- Marriage of Israel Holdroyd and Ann Lum, Jul 1750, Halifax, St John the Baptist.

This marriage says he was a weaver of Skircoat.

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 March 21 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I don't think I can get your enquiry much further forward, but it might be of interest that the 1730 (2nd) edition of Israel HOLDROYD's psalm tunes book was dedicated to the Reverend John TOPHAM, vicar of Kildwick, just a mile or two from Keighley, suggesting strong family connections with that area, coupled with the fact that on his marriage he was said to be of Keighley. His bride Mary RYLES is from Harewood, and the marriage by licence, usually a privilege only the well-off could afford. Although printed in London, the second edition is to be sold by booksellers in Halifax, Huddersfield and Ripon. Israel Holdroyd is obviously still alive in 1753 when the 5th edition is printed, in London, so the book has apparently had great success to be into a 5th edition. In the earlier edition the tunes were prefaced by a section on the rudiments of music; by the 5th edition the rudiments are joined by a history of music and also a dictionary of musical terms, and Holdroyd has given himself a Latin nom-de-plume, 'Philo-Musicae' (lover of music).
regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 March 21 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Baptism of Jane at Harewood: 1725 May 1st Jane d. Israel Holdroyd of Harwood
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire