Author Topic: occupation Wrapper pinner 1891 in Hull  (Read 983 times)

Offline Hutton-Stirrup

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
occupation Wrapper pinner 1891 in Hull
« on: Monday 01 March 21 04:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone
 I am doing my grandmothers family history,  her maiden name was Florence Collingwood the family lived in Filey East Yorkshire,  I found my great grandfather on the 1891 census which said he was a fisherman on the same census was my grandmother Florence aged 20 her occupation was a wrapper pinner  I can not make out what manufacture she worked for. 
I have tried to research what a wrapper pinner was, I presume it had something to do with the textile industry, but can not find anything about the factories or textile industry in Hull at that time. can anyone help  ???

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: occupation Wrapper pinner 1891 in Hull
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 March 21 05:06 GMT (UK) »
The website "old occupations" states a "pinner" made pins.  Unfortunately there was no description of what a "wrapper" did.

It could be that your ancestor worked in a manufacturing factory that made steel products and she either made pins or wrapped the steel pins, or did both.  I have no idea if there were items called "pins" made from wood.

If you look at the Whitby list of businesses you'll notice there was mention of sailing and your ancestor could have been making pins for sails, not clothing.You'll also notice mention of "flax" which had two uses; one being that the seeds made oil for heating and lighting and the stalks were used to make linen for clothing, which would need sewing.

I don't know if you've already visited these webpages, but below I've pasted the link for

genuki Whitby trade
18th century Hull where you might find mention of a company that interests you
Kellys Directory of Hull

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/NRY/Whitby/Whitby40Dry

http://www.eylhs.org.uk/dl/89/trade-and-shipping-of-eighteenth-century-hull

http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/collection/p16445coll4/id/278524/

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 March 21 14:30 GMT (UK) »
If you want to post a snip from the census we could see whether we can read it, or give the names and dates of birth of the people on the 1891 census so that we can take a look for you. Does she appear on the 1901 census with a listed occupation?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 March 21 16:34 GMT (UK) »
I can only find one Florence Collingwood aged 20 in Hull with this occupation, but she is in the 1911 census, not the 1891.

Her father from Filey, but he is a coal porter not a fisherman.

Is this actually the person you are asking about?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7T3-F2B

The census form shows 'starch manufacture' in the 'Industry or service' column. I wonder if  the occupation might actually be 'wrapper tinner' not 'pinner'. Sadly there are no letters for comparison on the original page.

This is from the Dictionary of Occupational terms:
 wrapper, starch
wraps in paper small cubical blocks of partly evaporated starch preparatory to placing in hot-air stoves for further evaporation and crystallisation.

http://doot.spub.co.uk/idx.php?letter=W

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 March 21 16:43 GMT (UK) »
If I have the right person, she might well have worked for Reckitts, who were major manufacturers of starch.
https://www.hullwebs.co.uk/content/l-20c/industry/reckitts/reckitts.htm

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 March 21 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Maybe a wrapper pinner makes the wrappers for a wrapper to use to wrap.... ???

But I can see it could be a  'T'.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 March 21 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Good work Jen...I was about to suggest Reckitts before I saw your second post.

You make a good point Josey.

This is also a possibility...well known in Hull where it was manufactured:

https://www.retonthenet.co.uk/vintage-washing-laundry-reckitts-bag-blue-reckitt--coleman-hull-dolly-bag-1980s-nos-dolly-blue-5487-p.asp

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 March 21 17:02 GMT (UK) »
I think we need to wait now for the OP to confirm I have the right person?

In 1891 Florence's father was a Dockside Labourer in Hull, not a fisherman as stated in the original posting, so I am still a bit dubious.

Edit: going back to 1871 Florence's grandfather was a fisherman  :-\

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 March 21 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone
 I am doing my grandmothers family history,  her maiden name was Florence Collingwood the family lived in Filey East Yorkshire,  I found my great grandfather on the 1891 census which said he was a fisherman on the same census was my grandmother Florence aged 20 her occupation was a wrapper pinner  I can not make out what manufacture she worked for. 
I have tried to research what a wrapper pinner was, I presume it had something to do with the textile industry, but can not find anything about the factories or textile industry in Hull at that time. can anyone help  ???

I think she might have worked for the well loved Hull employer of Reckitt & colman who made Robin Starch

"The Reckitt family were also major benefactors to the people of Hull. The company was set up in 1840 by Isaac Reckitt when he purchased a starch works in Dansom Lane, Hull. The firm started by making starch-related products but soon branched out to include washing blue and blacklead for grates."

My mother wrapped the Reckitt blue bags and my grandfather worked with blacklead. Prior to the free National Health Service, one of the special things about Reckitts was they provided free health care and medicines for their workers
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke