Author Topic: Finding a trial after a precognition  (Read 1115 times)

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
  • Isabella Waldeck, dau of George and Isabella Brand
    • View Profile
Finding a trial after a precognition
« on: Monday 01 March 21 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I'm trying to break a brick wall in my paternal line (have been for years) and could possibly have a lead with a carter from Culross, Scotland named David Brand. He could possibly be a father for my convict ancestor George Brand, but so far there is no conclusive evidence.

Aside from that, there is a precognition for a David Brand in 1819 alongside an Alexander Spittal, for housebreaking in the vicinity of Alloa. A copy of this http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/details.aspx?reference=AD14%2f19%2f256&st=1&tc=y&tl=n&tn=n&tp=n&k=david+brand&ko=a&r=&ro=s&df=&dt=&di=y was ordered by my Uncle and forwarded to me.  We were notified by a genealogist at Scottish Indexes that it was a Justice of the Peace petition that had been misfiled and was not a High Court record.

I have no idea whether this was a case that went to trial and cannot find any other record of this particular case. The precognition itself did not give off too much information except for details of the crime.

Would like to know if there is somewhere else I could search to find more information about this case, whether it had proceeded to trial or whether simply nothing came of it. I was hoping it'd lead to a breakthrough in my brick wall case but it hasn't so far., which has been a bit disappointing.

Thanks in advance for your advice,
EB.
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a trial after a precognition
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 March 21 20:21 GMT (UK) »
The National Archives of Scotland (NAS) is the main depository for this material. If there is no further reference to paperwork, don't think there will be anything else to be found (doesn't mean a court case did not proceed just no further index on paperwork/records for it).

Sometimes you can find details in local newspapers. You could try seaching on www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

From the NAS index entry you linked, and the reference to his accomplice, Alexander Spittal, wondering if this could be David Brand's marriage? From Family Search (you need to be signed on to view) www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY3S-P5N

Monica

Added: www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=770155.0 - see you have been down this road already  ::)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 March 21 21:07 GMT (UK) »
I am adding this old main thread so that everyone can see what has already been discussed www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=818309.0

Can I check something? Have you looked at any marriage/death regs of George (Culross) siblings to see what is showing re father? Thinking of the given occupation in the main. Son David remarried in 1857 so likely a good one to check as this is info that he would have given himself rather than an informant to his death who may not have known the occupation of his father.

Have read through all the posts, I do think you are very much on the right track for George's parents being this David Brand and wife Janet Spittal  ;)

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 March 21 21:30 GMT (UK) »
There is a death/burial showing in the Old Parish Registers on SP. Just wondering if either you or your uncle have viewed it? Won't have much detail...but maybe just enough to get some new piece of info:

BRAND
----- (name not shown but wondering this could be Janet. Normally wives would be indexed by their maiden name though).
Parent/Other DAVID BRAND
Age 56
Female
30/01/1826
Ref 343/40 289
Culross

Monica

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 March 21 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica for having a read,

I should have linked my other posts but I see you found them!  ;D

I hadn't realised that son David remarried in 1857, but I will check that marriage out as that would have been after civil registration and possibly give me a bit more info. I had had a bit of trouble tracing the other children of Janet Spittal and David Brand. I believe the youngest, Euphemia, did not marry but I'm yet to find a death record. I'll have to go and have a closer look! All the other births and marriages that I've seen do not have too much info.

I have had a detailed search through the British Newspaper Archives and nothing has come up of note re. David and Janet. Perhaps I should do a search for the siblings as well. There are a few articles there about George and his adventures.

My Uncle and I are pretty much sure that his parents were David and Janet, but we would love that missing link to corroborate all the work we've put in. So far, not even DNA has helped. We've considered doing a Y-DNA test, but it is unsure whether we will actually get any results. It's our last resort.

I will have a look at that death/burial on SP as well!

Thanks so much for these leads, I appreciate it!

EB.

Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 04:38 GMT (UK) »
I believe the youngest, Euphemia, did not marry but I'm yet to find a death record.

Can you provide the info. from these DCs which looked promising?...

BRAND JANE 57 - 1861 - 343/ 17 Culross (Perth)

BRAND ELIZABETH 83 - 1889 - 343/ 14 Culross (Perth)

BRAND EUPHEMIA 78 - 1898 - 418/B 3 Culross (Fife)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 21:36 GMT (UK) »
From family trees online, Euphemia's death date is given as 18 January 1898 at Culross as Annie shows above.

David Jnr's death is given as 5 Sept 1888 at Dunfermline, Fife.

Annie, as an alternative to the death of a Jane Brand in 1861, there is this census entry as a possible in 1891!

Jane Brand, 83, b. Culross. Formerly laundress. Look to be living by herself. Address 6 Canal St, Grangemouth, Stirlingshire.

EBrand, there are a few online trees which show parents as David and Janet, so maybe more people are coming round to your way of thinking. BTW, when googling, I came across your genealogy blog. Well done you  :) Very readable. Your enthusiam for the research you have done and are doing shines through  ;)

Monica

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Annie, as an alternative to the death of a Jane Brand in 1861, there is this census entry as a possible in 1891!

Jane Brand, 83, b. Culross. Formerly laundress. Look to be living by herself. Address 6 Canal St, Grangemouth, Stirlingshire.

Monica

You're right Monica!...

If I'd taken the time to look at the death index again it shows mms which it has done for the last couple of years now  ::)

BRAND JANE 57
FERGIE (mms)
343/ 17 Culross (Perth)

May be a relation?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica and Annie,

Thanks for your time to have a search for these and thanks Monica for having a skim at my blog! I love writing on there!

Our ScotlandsPeople account is managed by my Uncle (he puts the funds on there) so I will run it by him and then have a look at ordering the death certificates of Euphemia and Elisabeth. Really, if it is them, I am a bit surprised that they did not marry, but it's not unheard of. Vaguely, in the Censuses, I remember Euphemia being a servant, but I will have to find that record again. The unknown first name BRAND death record for 1826 I will have to check as well.

That FERGIE/FERGUSON link is somewhere in the Brand family tree, I believe it must be George Brand (my ancestor)'s brother David Brand's wife. Her maiden name was Janet Ferguson and they had a daughter named Janet Spittal Brand.

Thanks for all your help!
EB.
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)