Author Topic: Loaning End, Allendale  (Read 916 times)

Offline lazytee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Loaning End, Allendale
« on: Monday 01 March 21 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everybody!
Can anybody tell me where "Loaning End" in the parish of Allendale is located?  It is often mentioned in 18th century parish BMB records, but I cannot find it on modern or old maps.  Is it the same place as Lane End?
Many thanks,
Lazytee.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Loaning End, Allendale
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 March 21 18:26 GMT (UK) »
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lazytee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 March 21 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, Jen. 

Lane End is actually not very far from Loaning Side, but I think the two are different places.  I looked up "loaning" and it was described as a dialect form of "lane".  It is also quite like "lonnen", which certainly in Geordie dialect (and in others, I think) means lane.

What I am trying to discover is whether the name "Loaning End" at some point (late 18th century?) changed to Lane End.

Many thanks again,

Hazel.

Offline erin31

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 March 21 18:48 GMT (UK) »
I have come across Loaning End in the West Allen Valley at Ninebanks and there are two roads on the outskirts of Alston called the Loaning.

I have looked at the 1881 census and there was a home called Loaning End in the Village of Ninebanks. It no longer exists but neighbouring houses named on the census still do.

:)

Offline lazytee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 March 21 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Erin!

Many thanks for your reply.  I could not find a house called "Loaning End" at Ninebanks in the 1881 census, but saw three "loanings" on a large scale map of Alston.

In fact, I have been sending everyone on a wild goose chase.  My apologies to all who read my message.  What I was actually wanting to find was a house called "Loaning Head", where the Wigham family, who are outer twiglets in my family tree, lived in the mid 18th century. And then to discover whether "Loaning Head" is the former name of the present day Lane End, which is situated on a lane leading from Appletree Bank towards Hindley Wrae.

Many thanks to all who have taken an interest.  I would be glad to hear of any ideas on this subject.

Hazel.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 March 21 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Could this have anything to do with what you are looking for?

http://www.gatehouse-gazetteer.info/English%20sites/577.html

< no real idea, I just stuck Loaning Head into Google!>

Boo

Offline erin31

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 March 21 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Thomas & Margaret Wigham lived at Hindley Wrae until after 1851.
Lane End is present on the 1841 census so if it had been called Loaning Head it was before then.

😊

Offline lazytee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 March 21 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Ticketty and Erin!

It is interesting that there is a "Loaning Head" in the Alston area (at Garrigill) and that is thought to have been a bastle.   Lane Head at Allendale was definitely a bastle, see:

http://www.gatehouse-gazetteer.info/English%20sites/2318.htm

You can see the high door, though the steps up are gone, at:

https://www.uklandandfarms.co.uk/media/properties/brochures/201506091243029278.pdf

Hindley Wrae is another Wigham abode.  Several family members were baptized and buried from there in the late 18th/early 19th centuries.

The Wighams are a sort of "step family" to me.  My great x 4 grandmother, Mary Hutchinson (Mrs William Morpeth) made a second marriage to a Thomas Wigham at Allendale in 1795.  I believe she is a "step aunt" to the Thomas Wigham who lived at Hindley Wrae in 1841/51.  I would be delighted to hear from any RootsChatters who are interested in/have knowledge of the Wighams of Allendale.  I don't think they are connected to the famous Quaker Wighams of Coanwood, though there may be a distant relationship.

Best regards to all,

Hazel

Offline lazytee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hallo again Everyone!

I have just discovered Loaning Head on the Armstrong's map of Northumberland (1769), Fryer's map (1820) and Greenwood's map (1828), and  find that it is located in the same spot as today's Lane Head.  By the time of the 1841 census the name had changed to Lane Head.  I am entirely satisfied that they are the same place.

I will close the topic now.  Thank you to all who participated.

Hazel.