Author Topic: Jones family (sorry!) of Clifford  (Read 911 times)

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
Jones family (sorry!) of Clifford
« on: Monday 01 March 21 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello all
My 4 x great grandparents Evan Jones and Elizabeth Price married in Castle Frome on 1st March 1788.  They went on to have nine children in Clifford, where Elizabeth died in 1819 (I think) and Evan in 1823:

Elizabeth  1789
Catharine  1791 (presumably died young)
John   1794
Mary   1796  (presumably died young)
Thomas  1799
Edward  1802
Mary   1804
James   1807
Catharine  1810

Edward, my direct ancestor, moved to Birmingham and managed to see off four wives.  I can find no trace at all of any of the others.  I'm aware that Jones near the Welsh border is not going to be easy to crack but honestly I haven't got a clue!  Did they all move away?  I would at least have expected the girls to marry in Clifford.
By the way, some records show the children being baptized in Castle Frome and also in Clifford.  I think Castle Frome is incorrect.  Back in the day when you could obtain photocopies of original docs from FamilySearch I ordered all these baptism records.  They could not provide the records from Castle Frome and when I asked, I was told it was a cataloguing error and they did not exist.  The records from Clifford were the correct ones.
Any help gratefully received as a new pair of eyes can work wonders.
Many thanks
Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jones family (sorry!) of Clifford
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 10:20 GMT (UK) »
BEWARE - there are TWO Evan Jones having children Clifford at that time - unless Evan married twice ???
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:W4T1-SHN2
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
Re: Jones family (sorry!) of Clifford
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Garstonite.  Yes, there are a lot of Jones marriages in Clifford and more than one Evan.  One married to Ann, one to Margaret and one to Elizabeth.  It's quite possible that Evan was a widower when he married Elizabeth since he would have been nearly 30.  But I've ruled out Margaret since this couple are having children at the same time as Evan and Elizabeth.  I can't find a baptism record at all for Jasper Jones, only the marriage which you kindly posted.

Catherine to  John Evans looks very good, many thanks.   There are so many Jones and even Joneses marrying more Joneses, and my lot don't really have uncommon names which would help to identify them.  I suppose I was really wondering if there was a way to narrow down the field, but I guess not.  We can't assume that all these people got married between the ages of 21 and 24!
Anyway thank you again for looking, I'll be ploughing again through the records.  I was lucky with Edward because he married so many times that three of his four marriages were after 1837 (though sadly his first wife is my direct ancestor and the one I can't identify with certainty).
I'll post any discoveries :)

Best wishes
Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia