Author Topic: POLAND (Germany?) Birth of Adam Grzybowski about 1806. Possible death in US.  (Read 6165 times)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: POLAND (Germany?) Birth of Adam Grzybowski about 1806. Possible death in US.
« Reply #108 on: Thursday 01 April 21 07:07 BST (UK) »
The Grzybowskis are fairly consistent in the documents we have, including printed in The Lancet, which is a help. It is useful to standardise spellings when you are working on a family tree anyway so that you can search easily. There is much more variation with the Peichowski family. They seem to have quickly become the Piechowskis (swapping the "e"and "i"), but then a lot of variations creep in, probably from clerks struggling with the spelling. You will remember that Rose/Rosa Peichowski was Rose Ann P. Hoskey at the time of her marriage. The younger Louis makes the name variation an art form though. A switch to Pillard might have been good for business reasons, and it struck me that Louis might have been a more acceptable name than Levi in the American South in the mid 19th century. You'd have to think the name change to Lawrence Pillard, from Levi/Louis Peichoewski, might have been for other reasons, though.   

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: POLAND (Germany?) Birth of Adam Grzybowski about 1806. Possible death in US.
« Reply #109 on: Thursday 01 April 21 10:36 BST (UK) »
 The only argument against regularising spellings in trees is you won't find matches if they've gone with alternative spelling .

my own father b 1930 & sister 1926 were registered by same registrar but one  spelt Mac the other Mc

They came from poor mining and weaving family
Up to 1920's spellings were erratic
& To confuse matters a great uncle Macdermid married a MC Dermott which was a totally different family.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Friday 02 April 21 01:25 BST (UK) »
I noticed on the cemetery details for Louis Piechowski (Pillard) that he had a daughter, Mrs Lily Renz, of New Orleans, and two grandchildren and a great grandchild. I'm assuming that Lily was the daughter of his second wife, Mary Cynthia Cox, and that when Mary sued him in the Volusia County Chancery Court in May 1918 it might have been for maintenance for Lily.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Friday 02 April 21 02:27 BST (UK) »
As suggested by Erato, I have posted on a US Rootschat page with a reference back to this thread.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=846873.msg7139960