Author Topic: POLAND (Germany?) Birth of Adam Grzybowski about 1806. Possible death in US.  (Read 6156 times)

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: POLAND (Germany?) Birth of Adam Grzybowski about 1806. Possible death in US.
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 04 March 21 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Found on Ancestry.

https://www.ancestry.de/discoveryui-content/view/225904:7484?tid=&pid=&queryId=3b12e2a911530563958df87934c4066e&_phsrc=OwY13&_phstart=successSource

Name:    Adam Grzybowsky
Arrival Date:    21 Dec 1849
Port of Arrival:    New Orleans, United States
Birth Date:    abt 1814
Birth Place:    Pologne
Port of Departure: Le Havre, France
Ship Name: Manchester
Last Residence: Pologne

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: POLAND (Germany?) Birth of Adam Grzybowski about 1806. Possible death in US.
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 04 March 21 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Good job!

Presumably he traveled upriver by steamboat and was headed for St. Louis which was a boom town and also the jumping off point for people going out to California.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 04 March 21 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Amazing find. Poland as last place of residence is interesting. It suggests Adam took his wife back to Poland after marrying in London, and baby Harriett was born in France on their way to Le Havre to catch the ship. The US Census was taken on 1 Jun 1850, so they were in Missouri six months after their arrival in New Orleans. To my mind that suggests rather slow progress up the river.  And that's the latest of the four birth dates we have for him now!

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 04 March 21 22:22 GMT (UK) »
I'm suspicious of this guy.  Granted, Grzybowski and Grabowski seem to be pretty common Polish surnames but not so much in Missouri in the 1850s.   St. Charles is a suburb of St. Louis; about 125km north of Perry County.  And he was a physician.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V2DJ-W57
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01qdt/
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01qds/
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/71447752/julian-grabowski

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 04 March 21 22:58 GMT (UK) »
The Census was five months, not six months, after their arrival in New Orleans, to correct an earlier remark I made.

Our man's full name was Adam Tomasz Alexander Xavery Grzybowski, so I am not sure where the Julian would have come from. But a Polish physician in that part of the world would not have been common, you'd think. I guess Grabowski might have been an attempt to make his name more easily pronounced, and he might have chosen Julian Arthur as "Anglicised" given names. If the marriage to Harriet broke up in 1851, with her having Sophia in New York early in 1852 before baptising her in London late in 1852, calling herself a widow to explain the lack of a husband/father, that would leave the doctor free to marry again (another bigamous marriage to an even younger woman) in Sep 1853.   
The change of name would explain why we couldn't find his death under the original name. The children of this third marriage were born from 1854 to 1870.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 04 March 21 23:32 GMT (UK) »
It’s a pity there wasn’t a son named Adam. That would firm things up. But I suppose if the reason he changed his name was to cover his tracks, then it might have been wise to not leave clues like that. The birth date of 1818 is the latest yet, but he had already gone from 1806 to 1814 by the time he got to New Orleans.

I see that tree has him fathering children up to 1880, when he apparently had twins.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 04 March 21 23:53 GMT (UK) »
That tree was apparently started by someone named vgrabowski in 2015.  There have since been updates by other people.  You could try sending a message to vgrabowski or the others to see if they know anything more about how Julian came to be in Missouri.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 04 March 21 23:59 GMT (UK) »
I’ll do that. If this is the right guy, I fear the Perry County people aren’t going to be able to help me, since he would have moved on before dying, and probably just happened to be staying there the night of the Census. But the Rootschat inquiry has been very productive, thanks to people such as you.

Geoff