Author Topic: POLAND (Germany?) Birth of Adam Grzybowski about 1806. Possible death in US.  (Read 6166 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: POLAND (Germany?) Birth of Adam Grzybowski about 1806. Possible death in US.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 19:32 GMT (UK) »
A few other mentions of Dr. Grzybowski.  Note that he was listed as a member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England up until at least 1888.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01qdi/
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01qdg/
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01qdf/
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01qdh/
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: POLAND (Germany?) Birth of Adam Grzybowski about 1806. Possible death in US.
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 22:23 GMT (UK) »
It appears the second child was another girl, Sophia Jane (sometimes just Jane). On the 1861 England Census it says she was born 1852 in New York and was a visitor at the home, so perhaps there was an informal fostering arrangement. She married in the October quarter in 1879.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Is it Harriet Sarah or her daughter Harriet Junior who got married in 1871?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2DL4-GBG

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 00:00 GMT (UK) »
I think Harriet junior’s second initial was E and she married a man named William Frederick Snow on 5 Feb 1872 at St Olave, Bermonsey. So it would be the widow Harriet marrying John Lee at Shoreditch in 1871. She was Harriet Lee when she died in 1874, aged just 43, after what seems to have been quite an eventual, if short, life.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 02:28 GMT (UK) »
I've had no luck finding any reference to these people in the United States aside from the 1850 census.  Still, I can't shake the suspicion that Adam did not die in 1852 but, rather, did a disappearing act under a new name.  Is there any way to check whether his wife petitioned to have him declared dead after the requisite time had passed?

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 03:01 GMT (UK) »
I'll have to look into that. The first (and perhaps only legitimate) wife, Maria in Scotland, went to the grave as Mrs Grzybowski, widow of the surgeon Adam Grzybowski. I think the Jane Grzybowski who appears on the 1861 English Census is Adam and Harriet's second child, who also appears in other documents as Sophia Jane. She is 9 and a "visitor" at the house of a family named Taile or something (the transcription suggests Suh but I don't think that is right). There is an old carpenter and his wife, their adult children (a dressmaker and engineer), and Jane Grzybowski the visitor, who it says was born in New York about 1852.
When Harriet Chance married John Lee in 1871 she gave her name as Harriet Sarah Grzybowski, so was presumably passing herself off as a widow. I don't know if there would have been a lot of questions asked about a first husband dying in the US. And if there were questions, it might not seem unreasonable that she did not have his death certificate, given the sophistication of communications at the time. After all, Adam presumably declared himself a bachelor to marry Harriet in 1848, despite having a wife and three children in Edinburgh.   

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 03:11 GMT (UK) »
"if there would have been a lot of questions asked"

Probably not.  I have a case [my g-grandmother who, as it happens, was also recorded as a "visitor" in an unrelated household] where questions were not asked in 1869 and then were not asked again in 1885.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Sophia Jane Bentley (nee Grzybowski) died in Bristol in 1912 aged 60, so that backs up the 1852 birth date. If Adam had done his disappearing act and Harriet had Sophia in New York virtually on her way home to England, she might not have been too worried about the legal niceties of registering the birth in the US. We know from the other researcher that she didn't baptise the baby until after the Atlantic crossing, although I haven't located the baptism myself. I have alerted the other researcher to this thread, by the way.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Sophia Jane was baptised at Holy Trinity, Marylebone Road,  London, on 12 Dec 1852.