Author Topic: Ashburton, Timaru and Canterbury area School Records  (Read 680 times)

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Ashburton, Timaru and Canterbury area School Records
« on: Tuesday 02 March 21 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I live in Dunedin and am wanting to somehow access the School Admission registers etc. for the Ashburton, Timaru, Canterbury areas to search for family members that I believe may have attended schools up that way circa 1885 to 1910 (a guestimate).  How can I do this?  Does anyone know if I can access those records online if I'm a Member of the NZSG?

I'm trying to research my great grandmother, Lilian (or Helen) Clark, and a number of her sisters who may have attended school there, as there is a Canterbury connection with my great grandmother, and her younger sister is recorded as Ashburton being her previous school when she was admitted to a school locally.

Many thanks for any guidance on how I can access this information.
Sinnamon (and variants); Black; McBreen; Brady. - Northern Ireland & New Zealand
Liggins, Liggons, Liggens (and variants) - Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & New Zealand
Padman (family very much involved in early Wesleyan Church) - England, Australia and New Zealand
Oxley - England, Australia and New Zealand

Online spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ashburton, Timaru and Canterbury area School Records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tikva,

If you're a member of the NZSG you can purchase the multiple database Kiwi Collection v.2.

It includes School APW (Admission-Progress-Withdrawal) records which should help you.

Or you could post all the names of interest here and we can search for you (please include the names of parents and residence if you know them to help narrow the search). At least one of the group will have the Kiwi Collection.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that information spades - as much as I'd like to purchase the Kiwi Collection, I'm not an NZSG Member, so to pay for both would be a bit cost prohibitive at this time.

With the individuals I'm trying to find records for, they would not have been living with their parents while they attended school in the Canterbury area, as they (the parents) lived in Mosgiel.  I will provide their birth dates though, as even though I know that school records weren't 100% accurate with dates of birth, it might help.  I will also provide the names of older sisters who were married and living in the area who they might have been staying with.  These sisters come from a family of 13 daughters, and the sisters I'm trying to find in the school records were the younger ones, hence why they might have been living with older married sisters.

Names of individuals:

Helen Clark, born 13 Feb 1884
Alice Clark, born 21 Nov 1885
Lucy Clark, born 17 Apr 1888
Olive Clark, born 23 Feb 1893
Lilian Clark (possibly aka Helen Clark), date of birth not known.  (long story!)

Names of older sisters and their husbands who were residing in the area:

Louisa and Benjamin Dickinson
Clara and William McAuslin.

Names of Parents (who were residing in Mosgiel)
William Henry Clark
Emma Clark

Of note is that when youngest Olive Clark started attending Wakari School in 1904, her previous school was recorded as Ashburton, which is where her older sister Louisa and her husband were residing at that time.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance, and please know that I'm more than happy to make a financial contribution for this information, if that is required. 
Sinnamon (and variants); Black; McBreen; Brady. - Northern Ireland & New Zealand
Liggins, Liggons, Liggens (and variants) - Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & New Zealand
Padman (family very much involved in early Wesleyan Church) - England, Australia and New Zealand

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 21:40 GMT (UK) »

I live in Dunedin and am wanting to somehow access the School Admission registers etc. for the Ashburton, Timaru, Canterbury areas to search ...

Hi tikva

Have you checked with Dunedin Library  ??     
They of course offer (on site) genealogical assistance from NZSG-member volunteers at times ... but also say ...
NZSG resources can also be consulted in the Genealogy room during normal hours..

https://www.dunedinlibraries.govt.nz/heritage/genealogy

Worth checking to see if they have the Library edition of the NZSG Kiwi Collection v2 ... and whether it's available for the use of the public.   

~  Lu

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 21:55 GMT (UK) »

I live in Dunedin and am wanting to somehow access the School Admission registers etc. for the Ashburton, Timaru, Canterbury areas to search ...

Hi tikva

Have you checked with Dunedin Library  ??     
They of course offer (on site) genealogical assistance from NZSG-member volunteers at times ... but also say ...
NZSG resources can also be consulted in the Genealogy room during normal hours..

https://www.dunedinlibraries.govt.nz/heritage/genealogy

Worth checking to see if they have the Library edition of the NZSG Kiwi Collection v2 ... and whether it's available for the use of the public.   

~  Lu

I did call into the Mosgiel Branch of the Dunedin Library on Monday when the NZSG had a drop in session, but they didn't have access to the Canterbury records unfortunately.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tikva,

In your last thread for this family, I did have a look for you for the girls on the CD mentioned and couldn't see anything, I also suggested you get in touch with the NZSG Dunedin Branch.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tikva,

In your last thread for this family, I did have a look for you for the girls on the CD mentioned and couldn't see anything, I also suggested you get in touch with the NZSG Dunedin Branch.

Cheers
KHP

I can't recall if it was yourself, but there was someone who said there were records for the names I mentioned at that time, but no further information was provided unfortunately.  Also, I have added at least 2 names to my search at this time.  Also, now that I know Olive did in fact attend a school in Ashburton, I'm hoping that something might be forthcoming.

I have been in touch with the NZSG Dunedin branch too.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 22:34 GMT (UK) »

Of note is that when youngest Olive Clark started attending Wakari School in 1904, her previous school was recorded as Ashburton, which is where her older sister Louisa and her husband were residing at that time.

Yes, I did see that one, and noted the birth date was recorded as 30 March instead of 28 Feb.

Cheers
KHP

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 22:40 GMT (UK) »

Helen Clark, born 13 Feb 1884

While living in Mosgiel Bush, Helen Clark attended Mosgiel School on the 17 Feb 1890, and left on the 17 Dec 1891, to go to North Taieri.  Guardian was Wm Clark and birth date has been recorded as 13 Feb 1884.

Cheers
KHP