Author Topic: American Civil War soldier from Lancashire - ROLLINS  (Read 808 times)

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: American Civil War soldier from Lancashire - ROLLINS
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 09:13 BST (UK) »
@sallyyorks The ROLLING baptism in Leigh is very interesting as I have Irish catholic families in Bedford, Leigh in my mother's tree. I'll have to see if either ROLLING or HUNSWORTH tie into my familes (there must be ties somewhere to PARR, SPEDDING, SMITHIES or HOLDEN families according to the DNA results).

Your idea that he shortened his name in America is also a great alternative idea as I've been researching ROLLIN(S)/RAWLING(S) names and not ROLLINSON - brilliant suggestion.

Thanks - all most helpful
David

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 13:22 BST (UK) »
Most Catholics in the North of England, especially at this time, would be more likely be English than Irish. Lancashire, and Yorkshire, had/has high numbers of English Catholics and also Nonconformists, as well as CofE.

Mary Hunsworth possibly had more illigitimate children, there is also a James baptised 1833, though this does not necessarily mean he was born in 1833. He was baptised at Culcheth which isn't far from Leigh, no father named. Also an Ann 1830 and Alice 1837

I had a look for Mary and children on the census but it's quite a common surname in the area. I think Helen/Ellen might have died young.

Not sure if you've used it before but the Lancashire OPC site I linked is a great resource for anyone with ancestors in Lancashire

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 14:39 BST (UK) »
Most Catholics in the North of England, especially at this time, would be more likely be English than Irish. Lancashire, and Yorkshire, had/has high numbers of English Catholics and also Nonconformists, as well as CofE.

Although there were long-established communities of English Catholics in Lancashire, Irish migration to Lancashire predated the mass migration in 1840's caused by the Great Famine.
 There were Irish Catholics in Lancashire in 1820's & 1830's in places where there was work for them. Some would have been seasonal laborers, returning to Ireland for winter or whenever the work was finished. Others settled in Lancashire. Steamers made journey across the Irish Sea quicker from 2nd decade of 19thC.
 A mill-owner in a village near my birthplace in S.E. Lancashire brought a group of Irish Catholics from Manchester in 1820's when he fell out with the local workforce. He provided his new workers with a room to use as a chapel.
Baptism (from 1825) and marriage (from 1830's) registers for a Catholic chapel in the town of Bury in Lancashire show a high proportion of Irish names from the start of both registers. Abodes in marriage register of grooms, brides and parents were in many Irish counties.
A Irish maternal line, who eventually settled in Preston, were agricultural labourers in W. Lancashire on 1841 census. That census was taken in summer so they may have been seasonal migrants.
Cowban

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 15:23 BST (UK) »
@sallyyorks - yes, I know Culcheth. I'll see if I can establish where Thomas went.

I had one other possible lead from an 1833 birth in Atherton (same non-conf chapel as other relatives) but no luck as this Thomas ROLLINSON lived and died in Leigh and did not emigrate.

@Maiden Stone - thanks for the perspectives on Lancashire catholics as I have both Irish and long-time English Catholics in my mother's tree.