Author Topic: Diary > Monday 1st March  (Read 690 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Monday 1st March
« on: Tuesday 02 March 21 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Looks like I'm first again!

Monday was a day that was very similar to the one before it. A colder day, it started off surprisingly with a frost and also mist but both cleared during the morning. I wanted to do some of my painting so worked on that before lunch. After lunch I left it to go for a walk, the sun had come out by then. I'm enjoying being able to walk around the field again now that it's not so wet, much nicer being amongst the greenery. It felt chillier than I expected.

Did some more to my painting when I got home, I wanted to photograph it to send to my art teacher today as I knew she would be checking emails, so I did so when I knew there was still work to do on it. She replied in no time and I was pleased to read that she loves it. She provided some feedback that will help me.
I wanted to do some gardening, I did manage some but it was quite cold so I wasn't out very long. The rudbeckia seeds I have been germinating in the kitchen windowsill have come through, hooray. Hope the sea holly do too.

Finished reading Where the Crawdads Sing. I enjoyed it,  something different from the run of the mill stuff. The day before yesterday my free trial period of an electronic magazine subscription ended and they immediately sent me an offer of another month free, just have to make sure I stay one step ahead and cancel in good time.

No sign of mowsehowse for a few days, hope you're okay MH.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 1st March
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Glad you enjoyed Where the Crawdads Sing - I found it a beautifully descriptive book... it’s been in the top 10 Sunday Times books for 50 weeks!
Great to hear you’re having such positive comments from you art teacher... always gives you such a good feeling...

My day wasn’t that interesting... weather was foggy to start with, dull, grey and miserable... chilly enough to put the heating back on for a while....
Read a bit, did some cooking... played scrabble not much else really!
Had picture of T doing his school work in their lounge at a makeshift desk so he could keep his eye on the new fish!
Dinner was chicken, ham, mushroom, leek and tarragon pie with broccoli...
Watched usual Monday tv...
Days seem to be even more boring than before... not much motivation to do much especially when the weather is so dull...

Hope MH and RTL are both ok as a while since we heard from either of them...

Stay safe and cheerful all...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 15:50 GMT (UK) »
So glad your painting was appreciated Roobarb.
Who wrote Where The Crawdads Sing?
It sounds like a good read .
I am struggling along with Martin Chuzzlewit !Phew !such small print!

RTL had a long hard stretch of shifts, but I too hope  she and Mowsehowse are both OK.Indeed everyone.

There are still a few seed heads on my nearly six foot high Rudbeckias , have already saved some but these I might do a Johnny Appleseed and scatter them in places where they might grow such as the uncared for perimeter of the cemetery.

My son and I spoke on the phone, he rang to say a squirrel was literally scratching at the conservatory door for the daily ration of nuts.
Bright sunny weather here , and lots of birdsong.

Have sent for a small portable DVDPlayer ,can watch in bed if I choose, mains or battery powered .
From Coopers’ of Stortford, very reliable ,had lots from them in the past,.

What a lot if bumf I get !
Now how about a heated loo seat? Well one is advertised in one catalogue with aides for the elderly infirm.
Bet The Queen has one!

Doesn’t sound so good for that breathtakingly handsome Man who once was Prince Philip  does it.
What a pity if he does not get the funeral he deserves through Covid 19.

I wish Harry and Megan ,—- well, I wish Megan had never come on the scene at all!
But as she did, what a wonderful Ambassadress she could have been ,a golden chance missed.
Shame.
Just bleached all kitchen surfaces so stuff back and a tepid cuppa(  ::),  can’t  drink it as hot as I’d like but a small price to pay for comfort.
Cheerio folks , look after yourselves .
Viktoria.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Still lurking here and reading all the posts.   As Caroline says, days seem so boring and hard to write about 'nowt'.

Yesterday another dental appointment and had to leave my top plate so 2 teeth can be added.  So, I'm going nowhere and seeing no-one until I get it back on Thursday when said 2 teeth will be extracted. 

Had planned to visit the babies via the lounge window again today but being somewhat toothless decided staying at home was best and will wait until end of the week.   Just as well as this afternoon they are digging up the pavement part of the driveway into our car park and it's all closed off with currently a gaping hole!   Did they warn us of this?   Of course they didn't.

Other than mundane household tasks what to do?   Guess it usual tv, a new jigsaw, reading, sudoku.   Can't get back to knitting at the moment, don't know why.

Stay well and keep safe everyone.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hope you soon find some inspiration to do something interesting Caroline. Do you make cards for Easter? If not, perhaps you might like to consider it, I'm sure your friend who had the accident and the one who works at the airport would be cheered by them. Just a thought.   :)

Viktoria, the novel Where the Crawdads Sing is written by Delia Owens, I can really recommend it.
Six foot high rudbeckias?!!  :o :o  I think I'd better put them at the back of the border! Hope you enjoy your new DVD player when it arrives.

Not a great time for you Annette with your teeth problems. Hope it all goes well and you're soon able to smile at the babies. Always nice to read your posts, either nowt or summat!  :D

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the author’s name.
As a fellow wearer of a little plate with two teeth on it ,I look like the wicked witch of the East ,long lank hair ,squinty eyes and a gap in my teeth, I am afraid The Glamourous Grandma competition won’t see me this year!
Not that it ever hasI hasten to add, should I ever enter I would no doubt get a consolation prize,a bag to put on my head!
Night night.
Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Know exactly where you’re coming from Annette and Viktoria regarding teeth on plates! I too have a plate with far too many on... result of poor dentistry when I was a school girl... my aunt ( my guardian as parents lived abroad) hadn’t got a clue so as a result in my early twenties my then dentist delighted in removing quite a few.... wouldn’t be seen dead without them so understand your hibernation Annette!

Viktoria the book Where the Crawdads Sung is a wonderful read...

Roobarb- I’d already thought about Easter cards.... need to do the boys something special.... that’ll be a challenge..... so thinking cap on...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 00:35 GMT (UK) »
How old are they?

Would a dwarf apple tree be suitable .
Catalogue from “You Garden” has mixed varieties on one tree .
See the catalogue .
  Phone ;- 0844656956
yougarden .com. ( Lower case.)
And -  @YouGardenUK
They are very reliable and have the Platinum Trusted Service Award.
The trees start at£14 - 99 - some are buy one get one free.
Can be container grown and can be sent direct to whoever they are for.
Flash Harry is getting one and his Nanny ,my daughter will have the other but knowing her she will probably say he has one at his house and one at hers .
I will send money for containers and compost.
 Cheerio .Viktoria

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Viktoria - They are 5 and 7and half ... it’s a lovely idea but their garden (London) isn’t huge and they’ve got a hazelnut tree in it and a Robinia already....they do grow their own vegs... so I had wondered about giving then a pot with potato growing kit...I’ll have a look at the web site you’ve detailed...

Thank you...
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK