Author Topic: 70TH foot - James Oakley/William Oakley  (Read 8945 times)

Offline Jeff Guyett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
70TH foot - James Oakley/William Oakley
« on: Tuesday 02 March 21 18:55 GMT (UK) »
I recently received I think the Birth cert for William Oakley b1834 in Gibraltar, (his discharge Papers says he was Born in Cork?) in the 70th Foot, the Birth Cert says his father Was James Ockley (also in the 70th Foot) and in 1837 there a birth for a Sarah in Malta(mother was Ann). These tie in with the Movements of this Regiment, but I can not find A James Oakley/Ockley discharge or death Papers ? the 70th Foot went to Barbados after then to Canada & then back to Ireland..(William joined the 70th Foot in Templemore in July 1847 - service no 2543 (14!) (on his wedding Cert it says Fathers name was William..!)
 I'am  missing something - hes obit says he was born in Gibraltar.. or can anyone find James

Cheers Jeff
GUYETT, GUYATT, OAKLEY, BIRD, MILLWARD, Hancey, SHORTLAND, GLASS, Hewitt, Fabian, OAKLEY, LINSELL, Stone. JEFFERY, SAUNDERS, DEWEY

Offline FROGSMILE

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 70TH foot - James Oakley/William Oakley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 12:46 GMT (UK) »
I recently received I think the Birth cert for William Oakley b1834 in Gibraltar, (his discharge Papers says he was Born in Cork?) in the 70th Foot, the Birth Cert says his father Was James Ockley (also in the 70th Foot) and in 1837 there a birth for a Sarah in Malta(mother was Ann). These tie in with the Movements of this Regiment, but I can not find A James Oakley/Ockley discharge or death Papers ? the 70th Foot went to Barbados after then to Canada & then back to Ireland..(William joined the 70th Foot in Templemore in July 1847 - service no 2543 (14!) (on his wedding Cert it says Fathers name was William..!)
 I'am  missing something - hes obit says he was born in Gibraltar.. or can anyone find James

Cheers Jeff

Jeff if you can try and be a bit more clear with a precise question it might be possible to help.  I can certainly tell you, or confirm accurately where the 70th were and when.  Perhaps someone more on the genealogy side can then help, but at the moment you’re a bit garbled.  No offence meant.

Offline Jeff Guyett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 16:33 GMT (UK) »
hi
yes it  was confusing Sorry.

I'am looking for the Parents of

William Oakley b1834 - d1898 Band Sergeant in the 70th Foot ,joined at Templemore ,Ireland
served in the Army from 1847 (under age) - Dec 1871

Hes birth is given as Gibraltar (newspaper obit & also in the 1881 census)
he's Wedding Cert says he's father is also Called William
His Discharge Papers says he was born in Cork?

I found a Possible birth for him in 1834 in Gibraltar - The Cert say his parents where James & Ann OCKLEY not Oakley, James is a Corporal in the 70th Foot, they go Malta have a daughter (died 3months) can not find the Army Records for James and no sign of him after 1837(the 70th went to Barbados) so do I go back to Ireland? or any help would be appreciated. thanks
GUYETT, GUYATT, OAKLEY, BIRD, MILLWARD, Hancey, SHORTLAND, GLASS, Hewitt, Fabian, OAKLEY, LINSELL, Stone. JEFFERY, SAUNDERS, DEWEY

Offline FROGSMILE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jeff, thank you that makes more sense now.  I cannot help you with birth records as that's not my area, but I can perhaps help with some of the military aspects.  Reading what you've said it seems to me a classic example of James following his father into the same regiment as a Boy entrant.  This was extremely common as it brought two wages into the house and also increased the ration allocation from the government to the family.  Soldiers had a full ration, wives a half ration, and children a quarter ration.  By enlisting as a Boy his ration increased and he also received Boy rates of pay until he reached 18.  The age joined was usually 14 by that time, although it had been younger previously and was generally aligned with the statutory school leaving age once that statute was enacted.  Each infantry battalion was allowed to enlist around a dozen Boys who were employed in one of four areas: Boy Drummer, Boy Musician, Boy Tailor, Boy Shoemaker.  In all these roles he was trained and certificated but at the age of 18 could choose to enter a Service Company if he so wished.  Here are the 70th Regiment's movements over the period you are interested in: 
    1834  Gibraltar   
    1836   Malta   
    1838   West Indies   
    1841   Canada   
    1843   England1845 Ireland   
    1849   India   
    1857   Sepoy rebellion: NW Frontier   
    1858   India   
    1861   New Zealand   
    1863   Maori war   
    1866   England   
    1868   Ireland   
    1871   India   
It's highly likely that James was born in the battalion lines if his mother was an authorised (on the strength) wife, but he would have been born outside the battalion lines if his mother was an unauthorised (off the strength) wife.  In 1845 the 70th were based in the infantry barracks in Dublin.  It's also quite possible that his mother might have been the daughter of a soldier.

Offline Jeff Guyett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 March 21 21:22 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the info , very interesting, about the wives and the Children in the Army,

I did find this link on line to the movements of the 70th https://archive.org/details/historicalrecor01tuppgoog/page/n44/mode/2up ,

William was a Musician ( and was in several Brass bands) and conductor in his later years

I think I will going back to seeing if I can find a William Oakley in Ireland rather than James & Ann...
regards Jeff

Offline FROGSMILE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 March 21 00:11 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the info , very interesting, about the wives and the Children in the Army,

I did find this link on line to the movements of the 70th https://archive.org/details/historicalrecor01tuppgoog/page/n44/mode/2up ,

William was a Musician ( and was in several Brass bands) and conductor in his later years

I think I will going back to seeing if I can find a William Oakley in Ireland rather than James & Ann...
regards Jeff

As far as I can see that history extends only as far as 1848, but it does mention when the Depot Companies (x4) move from Guernsey to Ireland in 1845.

Offline Jeff Guyett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 March 21 17:22 GMT (UK) »
It helped confirm that William's wife (Sarah LINSELL)
her Father was also in the 70th Foot , she was born in Newry in 1846 & Married William in India (age 14) in 1860 (her 2nd Marriage!) and more relatives joined this Regiment

Offline FROGSMILE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 09:46 GMT (UK) »
It helped confirm that William's wife (Sarah LINSELL)
her Father was also in the 70th Foot , she was born in Newry in 1846 & Married William in India (age 14) in 1860 (her 2nd Marriage!) and more relatives joined this Regiment

I’m quite stunned by that.  I wonder if her first husband was also a Boy entrant who perhaps sickened and died or was KIA.  Alternatively he might have been a SNCO, seen by her parents as a good catch who could give her a good standard of living.

Offline Jeff Guyett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 08:40 GMT (UK) »
hi
her 1st Husband was
Private Edward Cilfford - married 17 Feb 1859
RawalPindi, Bengal, India - he was  born 1836 died 6th April 1860
aged 24 of Smallpox

Sarah remarried on 24th Sept 1860 - William Oakley (Sergeant 70th Band) in Allahabad, Bengal, India
They had I think there 1st child in New Zealand in 1864 (Sarah Matilda)
Sarahs Father William Linsell was also a Sergeant in the 70th foot  in India (he's wife/Sarahs mother had another 4 children in India  all died, and she dies 3 months after the 4th) he remarries Mary Farley (her 2nd or3rd marriage) seems they remarried fairly quickly after losing a spouse