Author Topic: Census 2021  (Read 18578 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census 2021
« Reply #135 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 09:32 BST (UK) »
Andrew ... that made me laugh!  ;D ;D ;D

Regarding chasing up the census,  I think it is almost like they have gone into panic mode about it .. sending out people to people's doors only a day or two after and as you say, Groom, wasting money sending out chase up letters when the forms may very well be in the post or perhaps with them and just not processed yet. 
I hope they do get around to processing mine soon which was sent last Wednesday.  I think I will be on tenterhooks now waiting to see if I get any more visits or letters in the interim. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 13:21 BST (UK) »
Just let me know who Parliament's "People's Champion" is and I'm write them a strongly worded letter on the topic.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 18:18 BST (UK) »
Just let me know who Parliament's "People's Champion" is and I'm write them a strongly worded letter on the topic.

Everyone who has been receiving unwarranted reminders should complain to their MP and to the Taxpayers' Alliance.
I suppose the money saved by encouraging majority to do census online can be spent on "encouraging" the remainder.
Imo people's mental health is bad enough at present without unnecessary stress from a government body sending threatening letters and cards. They are like an over-zealous sheepdog, one who has only a small flock to spend his energy on.
Also, paper has been saved by promoting online completion but is now being wasted by reminder letters. 
Cowban

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Thursday 01 April 21 10:30 BST (UK) »
Now that's a good idea, Maiden Stone!  We have a new helpful MP who actually writes personally in answer to your queries, unlike the former, now retired one, who just got some minion to fire off a standard letter/email saying it wasn't his department.  Of course it could be a minion who sends the personal replies for the new chap, but they are helpful and to the point.  It does seem like a waste of paper and overzealous energy to send reminders so speedily, not to mention a waste of taxpayers' money.  I'm all for keeping paper communication (and cash) in circulation for those who can't or don't want to cope with online activity.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Thursday 01 April 21 14:25 BST (UK) »
Our papers hadn't arrived by the Census date so we phoned and they said they would send more.
Papers arrived on the Thursday and were posted on the Friday. On Monday we had the reminder letter my husband was annoyed!! Today 1st April we had the second batch.
It certainly is April Fools Day.
rayard.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Thursday 15 April 21 16:37 BST (UK) »

Regarding chasing up the census,  I think it is almost like they have gone into panic mode about it .. sending out people to people's doors only a day or two after and as you say, Groom, wasting money sending out chase up letters when the forms may very well be in the post or perhaps with them and just not processed yet. 
I hope they do get around to processing mine soon which was sent last Wednesday.  I think I will be on tenterhooks now waiting to see if I get any more visits or letters in the interim.

Your comments seem to be spot-on. News coverage this week. Harassing pensioners, threatening them with fines, according to one newspaper.
Cowban

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Monday 26 April 21 15:25 BST (UK) »
Had a couple of cards put through my door while I was out on Saturday, claiming I hadn't filled in the Census. Apparently I have had more than one visit trying to chase up the details.

I rang the number provided, and yes, the person could see that the job was complete, with the correct number of inhabitants. No details, they said, but enough to confirm.

I don't know how they can confuse my address with any other. There are exactly 3 properties in the postcode, the closest of which has a number 22 higher than mine. All of us have house numbers prominently displayed.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 09:18 BST (UK) »
Scotland have postponed our Census until 2022

How odd considering 'online' is used for almost everything these days, including voting i.e. Covid shouldn't really affect anything to do with the census  ???

Annie

I think it is a lot more to do with the fact that the staff who would usually process and analyse it are redeployed at the moment.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Wednesday 02 June 21 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hello All!  Just dropping by to say that our 2021 Census in Canada has also taken place (assuming we all did it) on May 11th.  I was good, and did mine fairly quickly.  Fortunately, I got the 'short' version which took about 5 minutes.  Others weren't so lucky, and spent almost 1 hour completing the 'long' version.  All online with a code to enter.  If online was not for you, there was a 1-800 number to call to have a paper version sent out.

Some complaining that the short version is much too short (it was changed by PM Stephen Harper) and the long version borders on intrusion!  Ah well.  Hopefully in 100 years, no one will really care... LOL

Cheers from across the pond
Ms_C
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806