Author Topic: Census 2021  (Read 18574 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census 2021
« Reply #144 on: Thursday 03 June 21 08:01 BST (UK) »
Pharma. all these complaints anent the Census confirm that the decision to delay Scotland's census was the right one!

Skoosh.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Thursday 03 June 21 08:40 BST (UK) »
The 2021 Isle of Man census was postponed until 30th May.
However residents were given access to the online forms from 25th May, and these forms remain available until 14th June.

Residents are strongly encouraged to use the online service; but paper forms are available.
Did mine during the last week in May. :D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Thursday 03 June 21 14:03 BST (UK) »

Regarding chasing up the census,  I think it is almost like they have gone into panic mode about it .. sending out people to people's doors only a day or two after and as you say, Groom, wasting money sending out chase up letters when the forms may very well be in the post or perhaps with them and just not processed yet. 
I hope they do get around to processing mine soon which was sent last Wednesday.  I think I will be on tenterhooks now waiting to see if I get any more visits or letters in the interim.

Your comments seem to be spot-on. News coverage this week. Harassing pensioners, threatening them with fines, according to one newspaper.

Apparently it was a technical problem.  Computer's fault!
Cowban

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Monday 14 June 21 16:55 BST (UK) »
Ours is out of date already, we have sold that house and just moved into a bungalow  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 08:19 BST (UK) »
A census is a snapshot of who was where on a particular date.

So, your return isn't out-of-date - it still shows accurately where you were on the date in question.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 10:42 BST (UK) »

So, your return isn't out-of-date - it still shows accurately where you were on the date in question.

Exactly, which is why people often think children aren't living with parents, when in fact they may just have been with grandparents overnight.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 20:07 BST (UK) »
My 3xgreat grandfather was in the Bishop Auckland area in 1881 at the time of the census, he went to America in 1886, returned in about 1890, is on the 1891 census in St Helen Auckland, so it seems he never left the country, or even the local area. In 1892, he went back to the US, this time for keeps. Lots of journies across the Atlantic.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 22:56 BST (UK) »

That was a "Tongue in Cheek" remark KG.  ;)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Thursday 17 June 21 15:53 BST (UK) »
Lots of journeys across the Atlantic.

It's not just censuses which can mislead in this way.

I had followed my great grandfather's many siblings as far as the 1901 census, when he was 21. Because he was 13th of 14, I believed that things were quite stable. by then.

One of his sisters had a son locally in 1905, so he was added to the tree. I expected the family still to be living locally when the 1911 census was released.

Only later did I find that several of the siblings had emigrated to Nova Scotia, and that son had been born while his family had been on a visit back to the UK. In fact, all the emigrants did well in the new world, and could afford trips "home" aplenty. The passenger lists have loads of mentions.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.