Author Topic: Census 2021  (Read 18575 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Census 2021
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 06 March 21 02:44 GMT (UK) »
The census in Australia will be on August 10th this year. OH & I will be away on a trip. The itinerary indicates we will be in Alice Springs, a little distance away from Sydney :o :o :o

Just to add to the fun, the census 10 years ago, we were away on census night, in Airlie Beach, central coast of Queensland. :o :o

The hotel had to give us a special form to fill in :P

AC

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 06 March 21 05:57 GMT (UK) »
I guess it might be easier to find out about ancestors in 2122.  The young today seem to record everything on Facebook, WhatsApp etc.  It's been suggested that this might be the last census, no idea what will be put in its place though, the current ads telling you to complete the census suggest that the info is needed to know how many schools, hospitals, houses etc. to build.  Won't they need to know that in 2122 or even in 2031?
Knowing the way the authorities twist the assurances given on census forms it is very doubtful if the 2021 census will exist in 2122.

If the assurances on the 2021 census "What you need to know booklet" are correct it will not be kept until 2122.
The assurances claim "Under data protection law personal data should be kept no longer than needed to fulfil the purposes for which it was originally collected." It also claims "We hold the least amount of personal data or make it anonymous, where appropriate." also "We'll securely hold the data and control this data for 100 years."
In other words we will start destroying data as soon as it is no longer needed and at the most within 100 years of taking the census.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 06 March 21 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Apart from dob and gender, I don't think this census would give much info to a future family researcher.  Place of birth - country only, what good is that if you can't find your ancestor.  At the moment my daughter is living at her normal address, her daughter is at Edinburgh Uni (so no census for her) and her son is in Nice.  How anyone would be expected to find them is questionable. 

However, if as Guy suggests, the census will be destroyed before 2122, then family researchers will have to find another way of tracing ancestors - Facebook, Instagram etc?  there is plenty of evidence of what people were doing on there.  ::) ::)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 06 March 21 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Facebook, Instagram etc?  there is plenty of evidence of what people were doing on there.  ::) ::)

But not for those of us that don't use those sites and are on sites like this with 'nicknames'
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 March 21 12:20 GMT (UK) »
I've received the letter and leaflet. The thing that worries me is that if you don't want to, or can't complete the census paper online, you can apply for a paper copy  - either online or from a free phone number. I wonder how many people just won't bother to do that? In 2011 didn't we all receive paper copies but had the option to fill it in online?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 March 21 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,

But if they don't bother then they risk prosecution. It is a legal requirement that every household has to complete it by one f those methods.

Jon915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 06 March 21 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,

But if they don't bother then they risk prosecution. It is a legal requirement that every household has to complete it by one f those methods.

Jon915

As I've just said on the other census thread, I know, but I doubt whether they will chase everyone up. If they want people to complete the form they need to make it easier for them. A lot of older people don't have access to the internet and some don't like using the phone, especially if it will be a service where you need to push different buttons.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 08 March 21 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Just found this thread. Still had nothing here- up north!
North East of England

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 08 March 21 15:22 GMT (UK) »
The 'letter' does state that, if circumstances change, then an amendment can be submitted by accessing your census using the 16-digit code you were given.
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee