Author Topic: Old Ramoan Cemetery Ballycastle  (Read 826 times)

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Ramoan Cemetery Ballycastle
« on: Wednesday 03 March 21 03:05 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a William Moore and his wife Sarah (she died in 1880) who are possibly buried in this cemetery. Trying to find her maiden name.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Old Ramoan Cemetery Ballycastle
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 07:17 GMT (UK) »
When did William die? was it 1865 or 1887?
Sarah's certificate
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1880/06461/4857815.pdf
She is noted as being a widow but a William Moore reported the death, presume son.

Sometimes you can find the maiden name as it may have been used for one of the children of the marriage
eg if her maiden name was Read you might find a Read Moore. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 08:20 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a William Moore and his wife Sarah (she died in 1880) who are possibly buried in this cemetery. Trying to find her maiden name.

If it's the Sarah Moore died 10 Dec.1880 (as in death registration posted below by shanreagh) then her husband was Matthew (a saddler) not William.
Son William, also a saddler, died 1900-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1900/05774/4632109.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 12:52 GMT (UK) »
I assume that it was the William Moore who died in 1865 that was the husband of Sarah Moore who died as a widow in 1880. He's the only William that fits the scenario. But the details/image of his death are not online, yet.

Sarah's 1880 death (and her son William's 1900 death) state that they lived on Castle Street, Ballycastle. From Griffiths Valuation I find that there was a William Moore senior leasing land from the Reps. of Hugh Boyd in Townparks, Parish of Ramoan, Ballycastle (33a and b) and next to him in 34 a and b was William Moore junior leasing land from the Reps. of Boyd, also. This is on page 73.

On Page 78, Townparks, Parish of Ramoan, Town of Ballycastle, Castle Street #58 there is a William Moore as a tenant with a house, office, yard and small garden with Reps. of Hugh Boyd as landlord. #59 has another William Moore with exact same holdings. Are they Senior and Junior?

I don't see a Matthew Moore in Ballycastle in GV. and wonder what the source is for that information?

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 13:19 GMT (UK) »
The present church, dedicated to St James, was built in 1812, and the older church of St Ereclasius was demolished the following year.  I doubt there were any later burials in that churchyard (I wouldn't describe it as a cemetery, which to me means a burial ground not attached to a church).

Incidentally, in the old churchyard is a stone with the inscription "Remember to die" -- presumably an attempt at translating memento mori ! 
As a friend commented, "I doubt I'll no' forget when my time is up."
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 14:36 GMT (UK) »
I assume that it was the William Moore who died in 1865 that was the husband of Sarah Moore who died as a widow in 1880. He's the only William that fits the scenario. But the details/image of his death are not online, yet.

Sarah's 1880 death (and her son William's 1900 death) state that they lived on Castle Street, Ballycastle. From Griffiths Valuation I find that there was a William Moore senior leasing land from the Reps. of Hugh Boyd in Townparks, Parish of Ramoan, Ballycastle (33a and b) and next to him in 34 a and b was William Moore junior leasing land from the Reps. of Boyd, also. This is on page 73.

On Page 78, Townparks, Parish of Ramoan, Town of Ballycastle, Castle Street #58 there is a William Moore as a tenant with a house, office, yard and small garden with Reps. of Hugh Boyd as landlord. #59 has another William Moore with exact same holdings. Are they Senior and Junior?

I don't see a Matthew Moore in Ballycastle in GV. and wonder what the source is for that information?

Sarah's husband Matthew Moore died before Griffith's Valuation.
Coleraine Chronicle. 18 Dec.1880: Moore—At her residence, Ballycastle, on the 10th inst., Sarah, relict of the late Matthew Moore, Ballycastle, and mother of the Rev. James R. Moore, Toberkeigh.

Possibly related?
Londonderry Standard, 17 Sept.1870: ...Robert Black, Cold Stream, Australia, son of John Black, Esq., Ballysally, to Mary Jane, only daughter of the late Matthew Moore, Esq., Ballycastle.

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Ok, so that clears that up. Thanks aghadowey.

So this is probably the Sarah & Matthew Moore buried in the Old Ramoan graveyard. I'm back to square one.  This ties in to an old post I made a while back regarding a William Moore so I will close this one and comment further on the old one.

Mark this as completed, please.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Ok, so that clears that up. Thanks aghadowey.

So this is probably the Sarah & Matthew Moore buried in the Old Ramoan graveyard. I'm back to square one.  This ties in to an old post I made a while back regarding a William Moore so I will close this one and comment further on the old one.

Mark this as completed, please.

Yes, both Matthew & Sarah buried Old Ramoan burying ground.
You'll need to click on  'report to moderator' to ask this to be moved to ANTRIM COMPLETED board.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 23:00 GMT (UK) »
But are you still looking for someone?  Now William?
Or Sarah's maiden name, or not now that we have established she was married to a Matthew? 

Oops you've started another thread.