Author Topic: Question 1939 Register  (Read 647 times)

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Question 1939 Register
« on: Wednesday 03 March 21 11:38 GMT (UK) »
An aunt of mine Ivy Eileen Whitman is in the 1939 register living with her husband John Whitman in Basingstoke. John died in 1945 and as far as I can find out Ivy did not marry again although I was told that she lived with another man later.
What I cannot understand is that in the register her name has been crossed out and substituted with the name TODD and then DBA 12/8/49.

I cannot find any reference to her marrying a Todd or her death at the moment. If anyone can help decyphering what this means I would be grateful.

TIA
Tom
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Question 1939 Register
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Just a possibility.

Since you can call yourself anything you like, provided it is not intended to defraud, she may simply have taken her partner’s name. Although she was a widow, he may have been married and not willing to go through divorce. At that time it was not easy for the guilty party to obtain a divorce,  if the innocent party was not willing to instigate a divorce.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 11:58 GMT (UK) »
A possibility:

Ivy Eileen TODD (born 25 April 1904); death registered 4Q 1999 in Hitchin & Stevenage.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 12:07 GMT (UK) »
What I cannot understand is that in the register her name has been crossed out and substituted with the name TODD and then DBA 12/8/49.

DBA was the enumeration district code for Benfleet in Essex.

As Jebber suggests, it seems that she adopted another surname, and this was noted on the register from information received in Benfleet in 1949.

The same thing happened with a relative of mine who left her husband and lived with someone else. The register shows her 'new' surname with a date of 1964, when they started living together. However they didn't get married until the mid-1970's.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 13:33 GMT (UK) »
The death at reply 2 appears to be the right one.  She was born Ivy Eileen Bransom June qtr 1904
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 15:48 GMT (UK) »
CaroleW you are correct.

Nanny Jan, As above she was born as Ivy Eileen Branson and she married my uncle in 1926 in Willesden.
I was told by another distant relative some time back that in the seventies she was living with one of her relatives called Kimber in Basingstoke. Openly living with him as unmarried.
I find this all very odd.

Thanks for the replies people.
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg