Author Topic: KILLOUGHERY family of Ennistymon  (Read 4404 times)

Offline hevside

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
KILLOUGHERY family of Ennistymon
« on: Wednesday 03 March 21 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Can anyone explain why I am unable to find the registration of a RC marriage that took place in 1878. I have found the entry in the Parish records of Liscannor so I know that Michael Killuhry (one of many, many spellings!) of Ballyfardeen married Bridget Neylon on 12 Feb 1878. I would love the see the bmd registration to see a father's name for Michael but cannot find it anywhere.

I searched for some other names on the page and did find a batch of 4 in Ennistymon district but that was it!

Can anyone help or explain why this wouldn't be available?

Many thanks for any help

Heather

Offline patrick_a

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: KILLOUGHERY family of Ennistymon
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 March 21 12:08 GMT (UK) »
My 3X great grandparents married in a Catholic church, but never bothered to register their marriage in the civil records. The reason was that she was already a few months pregnant. They did manage to register their son's birth in the civil records a few months later.

If you are looking for a name of Michael's father, I think the answer is John.

In the 1855 Griffith's valuation there are two people with the surname Gilowrie(sic): Patrick and John. That is in the townland of Ballyfaudeen.
https://www.townlands.ie/clare/corcomroe/killaspuglonane/killaspugonane/ballyfaudeen/

In 1879, Michael and Bridget have a son named John.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1879/02914/2067861.pdf
In 1878, I believe they had a daughter named Ellen, but they spelled Bridget's maiden name as Scanlon instead of Neylon.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1878/02938/2076513.pdf

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 March 21 12:17 GMT (UK) »
My 3X great grandparents married in a Catholic church, but never bothered to register their marriage in the civil records. The reason was that she was already a few months pregnant. They did manage to register their son's birth in the civil records a few months later.
It would have been the priest that sent in the marriage record not the bride and groom.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 March 21 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline hevside

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 March 21 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your help. So it looks like a careless priest at that time! I have search under many spelling and every marriage on that date but no luck.

If I can explain my brick wall ... the family I started researching were that of John Killoughery born 1851-1856, don't know where. The only address for him is Ballyea although he doesn't appear to have been baptised there. He married Mary Blake in 1882 and went on to have 13 children of which I have identified 12. His marriage cert states his father to be Michael, a farmer, still alive in 1882.

As I was having no luck finding the father Michael I am trying a sideways approach.. ie John is likely to have a brother Michael but I've now found 3 possible brother Michaels :) :

Michael born 1861 married Mary O'Laughlin approx 1890 - CANNOT FIND MARRIAGE
on both census his father Michael is living with them. also CANNOT FIND HS BIRTH.

Michael born in the range 1841 - 1851 who married Bridget Neylon on 12 Feb 1878 according to parish record. They lived Ballyfauden and had 7 children I can find (although he says 6 in 1911 census.. one pair of twins in 1882 so maybe one died at birth??) CANNOT FIND HIS BIRTH so no idea of father... as patrick_a says maybe John (or Patrick?). Witness at his marriage was Dan Killoughery again.

Michael born 1842-1844 marries Anne Grice? c 1872 (found a marriage 1873 with a Dan Killoughery as witness??) They had 7 children with 2 dying. Have only found one of them so far. Lived at Moymore North, Kilaspuglonane.

another Michael marries Bridget Scanlon in 1870 and I have found 3 children of theirs, Norry 1888,  John 1881 and Ellen 1878.. (patrick_a - so I think this is a different Michael)

So all this just to find out who John's parents are!!! If anyone has any inspiration, please guide me. I have no Irish connection (John's g-grandaughter lives here in sunny St Annes, Lancs) so the geography and the pronunciation of the names is alien to me!!

Many thanks
Heather

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 March 21 11:30 GMT (UK) »

Offline patrick_a

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 March 21 01:01 GMT (UK) »
The witness to John's marriage in 1882 is Bridget Killourghy. She might be his mother, or sister, or some other relative.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1882/10970/8009967.pdf

Martin died in 1904 and was probably an uncle. He died in the workhouse and it states he was from Ballyea. That is the same townland where John resided.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1904/05608/4576914.pdf
https://www.townlands.ie/clare/islands/killone/killone/ballyea/

In 1843, there is a Martin Killoury in Boolyduff. He could be the one who died in 1904 or perhaps his father.
https://www.townlands.ie/clare/inchiquin/inagh/cloonanaha/boolyduff/

Offline hevside

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 March 21 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all, I have looked into every suggestion but still nothing defiinite to go on. I think I will give this family a rest for a little while after a non-stop week of searching. There are many more branches of the tree and other DNA matches to look into. Many thanks to everyone.

Offline Richard 2811

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 September 21 11:15 BST (UK) »

Hi Heather

I live in Surrey UK and John Killoughery and Mary Blake were my Great Grandparents. There are still Killoughery family members in Ballyea and there are quite a few of us in and around London. Just wanted to say good luck with your search.

I think I may have spoken to some of your family members back in the 1990s when Michael Killory from Florida came over on a family history research trip (?)..........