Author Topic: Mrs. James of Greenwich, London/Kent (Emily Myra St. Osyth Pollard)  (Read 1097 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mrs. James of Greenwich, London/Kent (Emily Myra St. Osyth Pollard)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 March 21 15:58 GMT (UK) »
OK, she is admitted to the Greenwich Union workhouse, 12 March 1902, as Maria Salter, 26
Faint writing. Brought by P S 38 R (police sergeant?)
Wife of Wm a Parkkeeper
8 Crooms Hill Grove
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS1R-MSJM-9

Discharged on the 20th March to Bexley Asylum (image 410)

Workhouse admission is also on Ancestry
Creed register will probably be on there, here it is on FamilySearch
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS1T-J3MK-R

Ancestry have the reception order for Myra Salter
In London, England, Poor Law and Board of Guardian Records, 1738-1926
Greenwich / Greenwich / Register of Lunatics / Settlement and Relief : Lunatics, 1901-1904
Image 43 (of 212)

Medical details
Mention of a friend there, but is there a name? :-\
6 Brand St ??

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 March 21 16:00 GMT (UK) »
This is so exciting!  Thank you so much.  I believe these are all referencing my Emily Myra Pollard.  Sounds like she had a challenging life. 
Interested in the reference to her brother as an actor, at age 15 Edward joined the army and eventually married as stated above.  He ended up working as a "coal tipper" in Wales.
This family has been the most fascinating to research, not just this particular one, but many of their relatives in that branch.
Thanks again, I will be pursuing all your leads.
Diana.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 March 21 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Did a little digging today and found someone with a tree on Ancestry with William the son in it, through his wife.  I came to a dead end with him, after finding reference to his serving in WWI, looks like he went to Australia.
The brother Myra was living with, the actor, must be her eldest brother John Metcalfe Pollard jr.,  a real character in his own right.  He was the only one married at the time, and was living in Wandsworth district at least in 1893.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 March 21 07:49 GMT (UK) »
You have found some excellent information John  :)

Diana I have completed the newspaper article posted by John.

22 September 1894, Evening Star (Suffolk)
AN IPSWICH GIRL IN LONDON. SAD TALE TO THE MAGISTRATE. Myra Pollard, well-dressed young woman, who said she was the daughter of a solicitor, formerly in practice at Ipswich, informed Mr. Rose, at the South-Western Court, London, that she was without home and in a destitute condition. She had been living with her brother, an actor....

... in Chelverton Road, Putney but as she could not agree with his wife she left one evening while he was engaged at the theatre and had since been sleeping on the common.
Mr Ross - Why don't you return to your father?
Applicant- He has left Ipswich and I don't know where he is living.

Mr Ross mentioned that her outward appearance would not lead one to suppose that she was destitute, but if she was without means she had better go to the workhouse, and at the suggestion of the Magistrate Mr McGowan, the court missionary interrogated her with a view of securing her admission to a Home.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 March 21 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Rosie, thank you for the rest of the article.  I do have a subscription to BNA and found it there yesterday, several papers carried it.  A few years ago I did my preliminary research on E.M. St. O. Pollard (!) and did not think to look under Myra, rather than Emily.  Wasn't entirely convinced the Myra in Greenwich was her, but turns out I was wrong.  My earlier research only turned up references to "Emily" that I was certain about.
Sadly, there are other cases of mental illness in this family - an uncle, and two nephews, all died in psychiatric facilities.  A second cousin died in a long-term care hospital, but am not sure what her original hospitalization was for. 

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 March 21 15:56 GMT (UK) »
I did wonder if you had access but thought I would add it anyway as it mentioned Chelverton Road. At least anyone looking at a later date can see the rest. 

She did have a sad life didn't she.  We have so much to be grateful for. 

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 March 21 20:24 GMT (UK) »
I did wonder if you had access but thought I would add it anyway as it mentioned Chelverton Road. At least anyone looking at a later date can see the rest. 

She did have a sad life didn't she.  We have so much to be grateful for. 

Rosie

Rosie, I appreciate your help and jonw65's too.  So many helpful people here.
Yes, she had a sad life.  Can't believe she didn't know where her father was - perhaps he had cut himself off from his family after the second marriage, or Myra didn't like her stepmother, she was at a difficult age (13) when he remarried.