Author Topic: Orphaned ancestors - where do I go next?  (Read 796 times)

Offline Cambridge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Orphaned ancestors - where do I go next?
« on: Wednesday 03 March 21 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to advise me?

I've found that my 5x Great-Grandfather Abraham Kilby was orphaned at the age of 1, along with his siblings when his parents Robert and Elizabeth both died within six months of each other in 1740 in Langford.

I know that he survived and went on to have a family of his own but I was wondering if there was any way I could find out what happened to him and his siblings. I don't think there were censuses then? Perhaps family took them in? But I dont know how to find out more.

Could they have been sent to a workhouse if not?

I have checked newspapers in case anything was in there but nothing.

Also his mother and a baby were buried on the same day in 1740 (Elizabeth and baby Eliza) - am I safe to assume that Elizabeth died in childbirth?

It all seems such a sad story.  :'(

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Orphaned ancestors - where do I go next?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 March 21 16:22 GMT (UK) »
By using FreeREG and Family Search I found the following which you may already know about. Robert Kilby was buried 25/1/1741 Langford, and Elizabeth was buried the year before 15/6/1740 Langford. Children born to a Robert and Elizabeth (assuming there was only one couple with these Christian names are as follows) ; Abraham Kilby 1729 died 1730; John Kilby baptised 1/8/1731; James Kilby baptised 9/2/1732 - possibly died 28/4/1733; but no parents mentioned for this child for the death; Sarah Kilby baptised 18/8/1734 Father just says Robert, no Mother's name; Elizabeth Kilby baptised 31/10/1736 and Abraham (2) Kilby baptised 15/7/1739 - married Arrabella Armstrong 4/12/1766, she died in 1806 buried 29/1/1806 Langford. Couldn't find any Eliza, but I guess it could have been daughter Elizabeth shortened to Eliza who was buried with her Mother, but in this case she would have been 3 years old. There are also some trees online, which will need checking out as quite often they are copied from one to another, anyway the additional info for what is worth is that Robert's wife Elizabeth surname was Rawley, and they married in 1729. It also says that Robert was baptised 21/1/1705 Cockayne Hatley, Beds.
Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks