Author Topic: Baptism England & Wales, Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial Registers, 1567-1936  (Read 1112 times)

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
In searching for a John Hunt born about 1795 in Devon, I found a record in England & Wales, Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial Registers, 1567-1936  Piece 0864: Devonport, Morice Street (Wesleyan), 1787-1821.

I know that he married away from Plymouth area. First in Chittlehampton, Devon, in 1820 and then in Brushford, Devon in 1832 after his first wife passed in 1831 in Ashringey, Devon.  He was listed as living in  Ashreigney at time of second marriage and married by Bann . When he passed on Ontario, Canada in 1879 he was listed as a member of Church Of England

I am unfamiliar with this particular record.  Is it more of a central registry?  I know it was from  a nonconformist church or chapel but was there a registry in a number of towns and villages or one for a larger area.

Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism England & Wales, Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial Registers, 1567-1936
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 March 21 10:39 GMT (UK) »
England and Wales Non-Conformist Record Indexes (RG4-8), 1588-1977
Description
Index to Non-conformist records held at the National Archives, London. This collection contains 3,920,183 records.

The above is from his baptism on family search, it will be surviving records from that place now held at the National Archives in Kew, London.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism England & Wales, Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial Registers, 1567-1936
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 March 21 11:02 GMT (UK) »
This record set is available on FindMyPast and  included in FreeReg. I'm not sure how inclusive the FreeReg records are.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 March 21 11:06 GMT (UK) »
The registers were from various churches and circuits and were deposited with the GRO in 1837 & 1857. They cover a variety of denominations. Not all non-conformist registers were handed over.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/nonconformists/
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 March 21 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the detailed information.

I have the image of the record.

Wondering if the possible match was registered as non-conformist at baptism if it is unusual that he married by church bann in 1832 as his spouse was Church of England?  He was also listed as a member of Church of England on his death record in Ontario.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 March 21 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Between 1754 and 1837 all marriages had to be in Anglican (C of E) churches to be legally recognised, except for Quakers and Jews. So it is normal at that period to find Anglican marriages for those baptised (or registered at birth) as nonconformists.

If what you are really asking is whether the Wesleyan Methodist baptism is likely to be your man, I would be extremely cautious, as John Hunt is a very common name and Devon is a very big county.

You need to find more supporting evidence first, tracking backwards from known information. Have you tried tracing the witnesses from his two marriages?

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 March 21 14:54 GMT (UK) »
just checking the marriages for any family witnesses
26 April 1820 Chittlehampton by Banns, John Hunt & Elizabeth Jarman, both otp, witnesses W. Teage & William Camp. All signed. both of the witnesses were present at other marriages on the page, so possibly church officials. W Teage may be the parish clerk, he witnessed all the marriages.

27 Oct 1832 Brushford by Banns, John Hunt, of Ashreigny, widower and Mary Pope, otp, spinster, witnesses John Handcock & Ann Rockey, all signed except Mary.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 March 21 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the added details.

I just saw a baptism for John Hunt and Elizabeth Jerman's son James  22 MAR 1829 recorded Ringsash, Devon and the  record reports Bible Christian as faith.

I have not found a document for son John Jr. born about 1822 or  Richard Hunt, born about 1825. Assume possible the records for those have been lost or not available for some reason?

I also just found baptism for Ann Hunt baptism 13 Jun 1831 Ashringey, Devon, England and the  record reports Bible Christian as faith.

A couple more pieces to this puzzle.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 March 21 16:44 GMT (UK) »
"Bible Christian" - how interesting - have a look at Wikipedia.   :)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY