Author Topic: Alexander McLean (1735-1810), Canadian Pioneer, burial site?  (Read 425 times)

Offline USCRx

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander McLean (1735-1810), Canadian Pioneer, burial site?
« on: Wednesday 03 March 21 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Alexander McLean (1735-1810), my g-g-g-g-g-grandfather, settled with his family in what is now Brockville, Ontario, Canada (formerly Elizabethtown) in 1783, one of the first settlers of that area. He was originally from Paisley, Scotland (married to Ann Lang there 5 Aug 1763), and immigrated to North America in 1774. Ann Lang died 3 July 1804, and Alexander died 23 March 1810. I do not have confirmed birth dates for both Alexander and Ann, and am currently researching this.
   It would be fantastic to discover their gravesites, if possible. These might have a clue as to when they were born. Another 'McLean' researcher told me 15 years ago that he presumed that Alexander McLean was buried in 1810 in the old Pioneer Cemetery, and then reburied in the current cemetery at a later date - (1861?). I assume he meant the Fulford Pioneer Cemetery, but am not sure about this.
   Would anyone have any knowledge of 1) the birthdates of Alexander McLean and Ann Lang, 2) where Alexander and Ann were buried, and 3) would the Pioneer Cemetery be the most likely site where Alexander was buried in 1810?
Thanks SO much for any thoughts!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline USCRx

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McLean (1735-1810), Canadian Pioneer, burial site?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Sandra,
Yeah, I know. I put this post on the USA Forum by error. I had wanted it on the Canada Forum. I have messaged the moderator on the USA Forum to remove it, if possible.
Thanks!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 18:35 GMT (UK) »
No prob. Just saves duplication if someone sees one but not the other.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 March 21 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen this web article about Alexander McLean and family:
https://www.lynmuseum.ca/2016/12/19/the-mcleans-at-fernbank/

It includes this:
"The McLeans are buried in the old cemetery at Younge Mills. In all the graves of 56 members of the family dating back to the sons of the original settler of Fernbank, Alexander McLean have been identified."

If this is the same Alexander and his sons were buried there, isn't it likely that Alexander and his wife Ann Lang would have been buried there also?

Have you sent queries to the local library and historical society (if there is one), just in case they have any local histories and/or cemetery transcriptions/indexes on file? I'd also send a query to the Heritage Place Museum in Lyn, Ontario, which posted the above info (there might be more on that site; I haven't checked).

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters